Brian Howard's off the shelf reeds

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
cbarber
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Brian Howard's off the shelf reeds

Post by cbarber »

This isn't an advertising feature but I thought it only fair to sing the praises of Brian's "off the shelf" reeds. Having had 3 concert pitch chanters, (a Matt Kiernan, a Jimmy Moloney and a Ray Sloane)which I had had great difficulty in reeding - somewhat in desperation I sent off for 3 of Brian Howard's ready made reeds and incredibly (and I mean this!) having fitted them without any "fettling", they worked perfectly and in tune throughout the range in all three chanters.

So having had many years of exasperation when trying to buy reeds, I can heartily recommend Brian's ready made reeds!
djimbo

Re: Brian Howard's off the shelf reeds

Post by djimbo »

cbarber wrote:
So having had many years of exasperation when trying to buy reeds, I can heartily recommend Brian's ready made reeds!
Hiya Chris. Fairly long time no see!
I've had many years of exasperation too :boggle:
I wonder if one would work in mine :)

jim.
Fools rush in and get all the best seats.
cbarber

Hi Jim

Post by cbarber »

Hope all is well with you, well you can but try one of Brian's reeds, have a look at www.howardmusic.co.uk or try ringing him on 0114 296 7273.

All the best

Chris
teirw

Howard Reeds

Post by teirw »

I know Brian has been (further) developing the staples. I guess these reeds must be on the latest staples. I haven't had the chance to visit for a year or so now but I must make the time soon!
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

cbarber wrote:....... a Ray Sloane)which I had had great difficulty in reeding.......
Honest question... why?

I've always heard the opposite.

Here is a link to such a claim:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=25598
...It has a beautiful tone and is easy to "reed."...
and another:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=31335
...I was able to make several reeds which work well...
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

cbarber wrote:.........a Matt Kiernan.....which I had had great difficulty in reeding.....
.....Years ago I started on a Kiernan practise-set. It played suberbly and is "bang-on" to reed.....
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=26830
cbarber

Matt Kiernan's chanter

Post by cbarber »

Well there's quite a tale here. I originally bought the chanter off Matt when I visited him sometime in the 80s and it had his reed in it which worked perfectly. I also bought a Bb off him too, all for the princely sum of £25 for both.

I had both chanters for a few years and then lent them to a pipemaker to copy the dimensions. Sadly while he had these in his possession, he passed away, a sad loss to us all but unfortunately when I came to ask for the chanters back, they had been sold on as part of his estate and no record of where. To cut a long story short, I was playing in a pub in Sheffield a couple of years back and a piper who I hadn't met for many years came over and said that he had something which he thought was mine - the concert pitch chanter! Anyway after profuse thanks etc. I got it back but the reed wasn't Matt's and I just couldn't find a reed to suit it until I tried one of Brian's, hence the post on the forum. Incidentally I never did find the Bb chanter!
cbarber

Ray Sloane's pipes

Post by cbarber »

perhaps I gave the wrong impression. His chanter is a work of art and does reed very easily as a rule. It's just that I was very surprised that Brian's reed worked so well and was considerably louder that the original of Ray's. A matter of taste, I suppose.

Chris Barber
psychodonald
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

Took Your Advice--It Was Worth It!!!!

Post by psychodonald »

Chris: as you know, I sent for a reed from Howard Music in Sheffield, England and I received it yesterday. Right off of the shelf, right out of the envelope, wonder of wonders, it works great!!!!! As you may recall, I've had problems reeding a Neil O'Grady chanter. What a pleasure and a relief to finally have a reed that works. I'm going to order a second one tomorrow. Frankly, it is like Christmas all over again. Thank you so much for the suggestion, it was well worth it. Don. :party:
Joseph E. Smith

Re: Took Your Advice--It Was Worth It!!!!

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

psychodonald wrote: Frankly, it is like Christmas all over again. Thank you so much for the suggestion, it was well worth it. Don. :party:
I love it when Christmas happens out of season! :party: Nice to hear good things about them.
teirw

Howard Reeds

Post by teirw »

I was just speaking to Brian about the latest reeds and he has been sending them all over the place.I wonder how many chanters of differing makes they go in. I've tried them in six and they worked in five after slight further sanding (although these were on earlier, 2005, staples) so I must get my hands on the new ones .
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

After reading these posts, I decided to buy an off-the-shelf-reed from Howard Music for a new Mark Hillmann chanter I recently purchased. I was first amazed when it showed up just a few days after I ordered it (I live in Baltimore, Maryland [USA]). Secondly, I was amazed at how well it worked as soon as I tried it. I've made a few adjustments and it is now playing to my satisfaction. I plan to buy another one soon.

Dan Humphries
Mogens Hundevad

Post by Mogens Hundevad »

Hi.
I live in Denmark an have a full Howard set. I started playing in 1977, but have had a long break. 3 years ago i took up the piping again, but the chanterreed was very herd to blow, and
needed a new easy gooing one. I got my new reed to my "old" chanter, and was happy - it was just like plug and play - no ajustments at all.
This just to tel that it IS possible to get a working reed by mail.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re:

Post by tommykleen »

Khan Krum wrote:After reading these posts, I decided to buy an off-the-shelf-reed from Howard Music for a new Mark Hillmann chanter I recently purchased. I was first amazed when it showed up just a few days after I ordered it (I live in Baltimore, Maryland [USA]). Secondly, I was amazed at how well it worked as soon as I tried it. I've made a few adjustments and it is now playing to my satisfaction. I plan to buy another one soon.

Dan Humphries
Our club has a Hillman chanter that is pitched sharp of D (closer to Eb). Is yours similar? I would like to get our chanter reeded and am encouraged that this might be an option. On the other hand, maybe Mark is not completely out of the business and could reed this chanter. You out there Mark?

T
guille

Post by guille »

Just got my new reed from Howard Music, it's wonderful. Very prompt service.
Thanks Brian.