BBC Radio Lancashire(!) interview and tunes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
beckitybek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

BBC Radio Lancashire(!) interview and tunes

Post by beckitybek »

Thought some of you might be interested to listen to an interview and tunes by me on Phil Browns show 'The Drift' on BBC radio Lancashire. It was broadcast last Thursday but is available on the BBC listen again service for a week until next Sunday on the internet, its about 10minutes into the show and lasts about 23 minutes!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/local_radio/
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

hya Becky thanx for that enjoyed your pieces...Absolutely agree about leaving the instruments oot.I often pass by a C # I leave almost permanently on the sofa during the day and whack a quick tune as and when the mood takes me.Not a day goes by in fact where I don't...Couple o things... what was the 1st tune ye played on the programme?who made the 1840 set..that ye got frae O'Rourke?
I think ye confused Phil with some o the terminology :wink: I thought he picked up on your stopping the chanter and ye went wi popping but demonstrated the chanter on and aff the knee...no matter what does he know,by far the the worst thing in the world is to play in front o fellow pipers good or bad I hate it...How is your Rogge Set progressing?Don't forget if your up this way link up :wink: Thanks again
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
ps good luck wi your weekend in feb.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Kerryman

Post by Kerryman »

Great stuff Becky. Thanks for bringing this to our attention. More info on Beckys Crowley set on her website here http://www.beckytaylor.info/news/newsarchive.php

From the website:
The restoration of Becky's Crowley set of pipes has finished! Pipemaker Marcus Coulter has done a fine job in restoring the set, including it's infamous leaking regulators, and it has been completely re-reeded by Alan Burton.

The set was acquired after many years on loan to her from it's original owner Tom O'Rourke from Corby, Northants. A great piper of both Highland and Uilleann pipes.

Liam
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Any chance of seeing more photos of the Crowley set?
PJ
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

I've not got many photos of the Crowley set, but this one on the website is is ok.

The Crowley set did come from Tom O'Rourke, but I didn't play them on that interview. The old set are a Coyne C# body in boxwood, extensively repaired by Rowsome (W) we think, taken down to C to play with the 'Hurley stick' Harrington chanter, photos again on the site.. Image and Image (not sure if i've got this image posting thing right yet..)

It is indeed terrifying playing in front of other pipers Uilliam, tell me about it I practically had a nervous breakdown doing the support slots at the NWUP tionols this year!!, photos of all the tionols on their website, www.nwup.org, and here from mine. Image

The first tune I played on the smallpipes was a slightly unusual version of 'the orphan' I think, although terminology and names aren't my strong point (the popping as you mention) and I always call double taps double flaps for some reason, seems more descriptive to me!
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Becky! He called your pipes 'brutes' !!!

Loverly playing as usual!!
PCL

Post by PCL »

Luddite that I are ... where do I go after I've clicked on the link, http://www.bbc.co.uk/lancashire/local_radio/ ?

:-) P.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Becky, have you ever snagged your bangles on the reg keys?
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

I'm probably not allowed to mention it here but that bangle is an extremely high powered magnetic bracelet which I nearly always wear when I play as I get tendonitis in that wrist. Dont have much problem with it snagging tho as it fits very close to the skin and I push it up out of the way when I'm doing serious regulator stuff.

The regs on that set are a complete pig to reach, I really struggle with it..
billh

Post by billh »

Uilliam wrote:... what was the 1st tune ye played on the programme?who made the 1840 set...
That's Rattle the Cash from the Goodman manuscript. (page 25 of the Hugh Shields edition). Nice tune! And a lovely sounding set (though I am not sure I could hear the bass drone... were all 3 drones working Beks?). Where did that Harrington chanter come from?
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

That's Rattle the Cash from the Goodman manuscript. (page 25 of the Hugh Shields edition). Nice tune! And a lovely sounding set (though I am not sure I could hear the bass drone... were all 3 drones working Beks?). Where did that Harrington chanter come from?[/quote]

Yeah I love that tune, if only to upset the local sword dancing boys in Sowerby Bridge as they dance to an English tune by the same name :P No really, its one of my faves at the moment!

You're right about the bass drone, only got the baritone and tenor working at the moment. I haven't managed to get the bass going yet and apparantly its not worked in living memory which isn't a good sign. The end of the bass is a very rough (but old) repair, it looks like the whole set has been dropped on its end at some point which I think might have something to do with it. I can get it to sound if I take the mount off, but its way off pitch. Am working on it tho, and its only this last week I've managed to get the regs somewhere near in tune.

The 'hurley' stick Harrington, came from Tom O'Rourke, originally from Lisnaskee, so did the rest of the set and the Crowleys..

PCL, you need to look for the 'listen again' logo/button on the right side of the page i think, and then select Phil Browns show 'the drift'.
bensdad

Becky's magnetic personality

Post by bensdad »

Lovely playing Becky.

The magnets have got me thinking... given the easy availability of very strong but very small rare-earth magnets, how long before someone fits the reg. keys with them. Then all you need is a wrist magnet with opposite polarity to open the keys by forcing the touch down. Just wave at the keys!
Needs a bit of work I know but...

The Goodman collection has some corkers. There's a lovely 3-part tune called "The Peak of Pleasure" (!) (which has survived as a 2-part jig called "The Besom in Bloom" Colm O'Donnell played it on that Sligo recording.)
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

Post by rgouette »

there'sa gal after me own heart...
not afraid of a bit O reverb.....

:)
DIAGONALINE

Post by DIAGONALINE »

Fantastic playing Becky

PCL try the link

then 'Listen again'
then 'The Drift'

Its worth the effort

Les Hanrahan
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

billh wrote:
Uilliam wrote:... what was the 1st tune ye played on the programme?who made the 1840 set...
That's Rattle the Cash from the Goodman manuscript. (page 25 of the Hugh Shields edition). Nice tune! And a lovely sounding set (though I am not sure I could hear the bass drone... were all 3 drones working Beks?). Where did that Harrington chanter come from?
Bill why are ye confusing me :-? :boggle: Rattle the Cash is the tune Becky played on the Harrington/Coyne in C and was the 2nd Tune she played in the broadcast and she introduced it thus..I asked what was the 1st tune played on the programme which Becky played on the Northumbrian pipes and I enjoyed listening to and Becky replied above that it was a version of the Orphan coz its title wasnae given on the programme...pay attention :wink: Sorry Becky I understood wot ye woz saying :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.