Tuning chart?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fallspiper2
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tuning chart?

Post by fallspiper2 »

I've been trying to do some research here regarding the "ideal" tuning of the chanter and have come across some conflicting information. Assuming the A is tuned to 440, where should the first octave G and the C natural lie? I've found some info through this forum that suggests the G should be at + 2 while someone else said it should be at -2. Same thing for C natural. Is it at +4 or -4? I'm sure someone simply made a mistake but could someone please clarify? Thanks.
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

Dave Haggarty's reed making manual has a list of the notes with + and - cents. I don't have it with me now as I am on a boat :party:
shy the blond water
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

You should tune D to the tuner (set at A=440). The notes of the scale are as follows based on the most sonorous scale (called the 5-limit scale):

E +4 (9/8 )
F# -14 (5/4)
G -2 (4/3)
A +2 (3/2)
B -16 (5/3)
C +18 (9/5) or -4 (16/9)
C# -12 (15/8 )

Heggarty's book gives -4 (16/9) for the C nat which is a slightly less sonorous interval than 9/5. My Gallagher chanter plays C nat at +18 left to its own devices and I need to roll my C finger over the hole to get the -4 C nat.

While the +18 (9/5) C nat should sound best with the drones I think melodically people tend to favor the flatter -4 C nat.

BTW - this is a route to insanity. Using your ears is best.
Last edited by simonknight on Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

http://www.uilleann.org/Reeds.html

Look halfway down the page.
simonknight

Post by simonknight »

I've updated my previous post to include C#. The numbers are consistent with the chart Brian linked to, just rounded to whole numbers. (You can't really hear fractions of a cent and commercial tuners aren't that accurate)
Simon
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Simon's got it there. Thanks!
fallspiper2

Thanks

Post by fallspiper2 »

Yes, I do realize this is the route to insanity but I'm not concerned. Been there, done that. :boggle: Thanks for the guidance. Happy New Year.
John S

Post by John S »

Happy New Year Fallspiper2, I have an Excel spread sheet that calculates the cent differences from ratios of the tonic frequency in Hz. I'd be happy to post it to the site if there is a way, or alternatively I could send it to you direct.

John S
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

John S wrote:Happy New Year Fallspiper2, I have an Excel spread sheet that calculates the cent differences from ratios of the tonic frequency in Hz. I'd be happy to post it to the site if there is a way, or alternatively I could send it to you direct.

John S
You could email it to me and I'll use my host site. Contact me by PM and I'll give you contact details.