the wonderful world of non-uilleann piping...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Yes or No, non-uilleann piping forum

Yes.
57%
No.
30%
Does this kilt make me look fat?
14%

Total votes: 44

Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

ChristianRo wrote:If you ask for a misc bagpipe forum to complement the UP forum, you could well ask for a rec***er forum to complement the whistle forum, too.
I don't think we need to go to that extreme. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The forum would be seperate from this one, a place where the players of non Uilleann pipes could go to discuss their instrument without cluttering up the UP forum with OT posts.

Those who do not want the forum do not have to read it or (especially) post there... no one would be forcing anyone to do that. Honestly, what is the big deal? How will it, in the greater scheme of things, upset your UP lives? :lol:
Brian Lee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

Joe, with all due respect, it seems your mind was made up about this from the outset. Why bother asking us? I mean no insult or disrespect in anyway here good sir - just the impression I get from this thread.

As the boardS stand now, they are indeed a large and bloated version of what C&F once was. Feels to me exactly like so many of the small mom and pop eatery's around here. in a nice setting with great food that is pounded by corporate pressures to cater to EVERYONE, to EXPAND and in the end to SELL OUT - and in so doing looses touch with what made it great in the first place.

What I can't figure is why on earth ANYone would think to come to an Irish tin whistle site to find some form of lively discussion on their Croatian diple?? :-? :boggle: Certainly some of us are multi-instrumentalists, and in fairness the uilleann pipe board was perhaps a stretch in itself - though it's very close relation to the tin whistle cannot be ignored.

Make a completely separate site is my only vote. But please for the sake of the shadow of what's left of the original C&F feel, let's not add even more to the frighteningly long and unrelated list of forums already present. Doesn't the native american flute have its own site now? Cedar and Feathers the new C&F :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Brian, you are correct in that I am for a new forum. But the votes will be the deciding factor... and of course, as will Dale.

I want to keep the UP forum strictly UP, period. But I also want to have a place for the other pipers to go, but remain here at C&F. I don't know about anyone else, but I find it a royal pain in the kiester to surf around from site to site just to read or type a few words... call me a creature of liesure. :D

What C&F once was and is today cannot be helped. Have you checked the membership census lately? As of 10:08 am, EST, we have 5,734 users, and this figure has been growing by 3 to 4 new members every day... not including spambots. Like it or not, that's a load of users and confining them to a small little forum isn't possible. I like the idea of a mom and pop styled cosy message board, but the likelyhood of a popular site as such remaining that way is next to nil... unless you do not permit membership beyond a certain limit, and I do not think that is what C&F is or ought to be about. Do you?
Brian Lee wrote:
What I can't figure is why on earth ANYone would think to come to an Irish tin whistle site to find some form of lively discussion on their Croatian diple?? :-? :boggle:
Wait a minute, didn't you recently state that you were the one who convinced Dale to initiate the UP thread, on this Irish Tin Whistle Site? I am sorry, but I find this contradictory and your argument against another forum weaker as a result. No offense, but that is simply how I see it.

Again, I do not see any big deal about another forum, what's it really going to hurt? And yes, again, I am in favor of it but the descision is not mine, solely, to make.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Brian, you are correct in that I am for a new forum. But the votes will be the deciding factor... and of course, as will Dale.

...I don't know about anyone else, but I find it a royal pain in the kiester to surf around from site to site just to read or type a few words... call me a creature of liesure. :D
Creature of leisure. There I said it. Say it again if I had to. ;)

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:
What I can't figure is why on earth ANYone would think to come to an Irish tin whistle site to find some form of lively discussion on their Croatian diple?? :-? :boggle:
Wait a minute, didn't you recently state that you were the one who convinced Dale to initiate the UP thread, on this Irish Tin Whistle Site? I am sorry, but I find this contradictory and your argument against another forum weaker as a result. No offense, but that is simply how I see it.
Uh Joe - you missed the rest of my quote there big guy. Including it may help you to understand my point:
Brian Lee wrote:What I can't figure is why on earth ANYone would think to come to an Irish tin whistle site to find some form of lively discussion on their Croatian diple?? Certainly some of us are multi-instrumentalists, and in fairness the uilleann pipe board was perhaps a stretch in itself - though it's very close relation to the tin whistle cannot be ignored.
Joseph E. Smith

Brian Lee wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Brian Lee wrote:
Uh Joe - you missed the rest of my quote there big guy. Including it may help you to understand my point:
Brian Lee wrote:What I can't figure is why on earth ANYone would think to come to an Irish tin whistle site to find some form of lively discussion on their Croatian diple?? Certainly some of us are multi-instrumentalists, and in fairness the uilleann pipe board was perhaps a stretch in itself - though it's very close relation to the tin whistle cannot be ignored.
I intentionally left out the rest of the quote... sorry for that, but I don't see the Uillean pipes being related to the tin whistle. Sure, there are some similarities in fingering, but that's about it. They do not sound the same, look the same and are certainly not played the same... unless you count moving your fingers up and down the length of a tube being the same.

The Uilleann pipes are a reeded, cold blown (see bellows) instrument with drones and regulators. They have evoled from other pipes, not a whistle.

My point was that you argued for the UP using the tin whistle thing and the UP forum was born... on this tin whistle site. The argument for another pipe forum is a far bit closer related to UP's than UP's are related to whistles.
:lol:
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

I utterly disagree. And your argument that UP's are in no way related to the tin whistle is as weak as any I would think - but carry on. Do whatever you feel you must. Again, Joe, please let me restate that I mean no disrespect to you good man. Just my feelings on this particular matter. Pints on me whenever you happen to make it out this way.
Joseph E. Smith

Okie Dokie. I'll never turn a free pint down! :D
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Cheers my friend! Be safe tonight ok? :party:
Joseph E. Smith

Brian Lee wrote:Cheers my friend! Be safe tonight ok? :party:
I'm nothin' iffin I ain't safe, y'all......... well, I guess I'm nothin'. :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Well, I guess it is a done deal... enjoy folks.