the wonderful world of non-uilleann piping...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.

Yes or No, non-uilleann piping forum

Yes.
57%
No.
30%
Does this kilt make me look fat?
14%

Total votes: 44

Bill Reeder
antispam: No

Post by Bill Reeder »

True, on all counts. I'm one of those who play other pipes, but I still like to keep things partitioned and nice and neat.

I just don't frequent forums that don't interest me - the rubber room/political forum in particular.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Isn't this thread off-topic?

LOCK IT!!!
PJ
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Bill Reeder wrote: A non-Uilleann piping forum would serve to maintain the focus of the Uilleann piping forum.
Plus, again, there are many here who play other pipes and rather than boot 'em off the Uilleann page, there'd be a place for them to go to close by... keeping it all on the one block as it were.
As an answer to further Chiffbloat, the alternative piping forum could be set up like the C&F Native American Flute Forum: sort of an entity unto itself. Not a lot of action there by Chiffy standards, but it's alive, anyway. Other than that, I don't have much of an opinion yet on the matter.
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I really do not see how another forum could possibly be any more disruptive to ITM or Uilleann Piping than the frickin' Political/Controversial/Chest-beating forum... aka Rubber Room. For fecksake, how does that bull sh*t fit into ITM or a Tin Whistle message board?
It doesn't, and that's the reason for its inception, of course, and I know that you are hip to that, JES, and posed a rhetorical question. To rehash the obvious, in case anyone cares: people kept logjamming the Whistle Forum, and later the Pub, with political and controversial stuff. Creating the Rubber Room was an act of mercy to those who don't want to deal with all that, and a needlessly generous gesture to those who do. Sometimes I wonder if the ones who frequent that forum even consider the reality of that: I mean, really, every political or controversial thread could have been justly nuked instead, and I think Dale wanted to be kinder than that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Lexxicos

Post by Lexxicos »

Judging by the amount of spam and otherwise topics about the various other Pipes that the Uilleann Forum gets jettisoned with every other Tuesday, it would be a damn good idea to just rope all of us off. God knows how many topics have been started asking about sessions and ITM on the Scottish Smallpipes, and now there'd finally be a place for answers.

ITM nowadays is being played on a variety of instruments that weren't at all Irish to begin with, plus, if worse comes to worse and some Scots' music rears it's dot-cut head, well, it's been said here before: "STM is not really all that different from ITM". However, a little different is still different.

It would be a shame to ethnically cleanse Chiff and Fipple.
"Men are decieved if they think themselves free." - Benedict Spinoza

Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:Isn't this thread off-topic?

LOCK IT!!!
"... You merge upon peril sir. I have two pistols here, I know this one isn't loaded any longer, but the other one is... "

-- MP
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

Damned considerate of you Mod's if you ask me. :)... probably save you's a lot of time/painkillers/motrin also.

Lo, it hath been posted: altho there's a quintillion basquillion pipe forums out there, 99.99% is filled with words of disdain such as:

"Pipe-Major abc uses xyz's new+ improved GHB widget, and you should , too, if you want to skunk your competition at the Erewhon games..."

sooooo...if such topics are prime centre for lock-dom in aforementioned proposed nouveau secczione; 8), (yea, let such talk be greatly eschewed...)

then I grant my personal blessing upon such an endeavour...whereupon the innocent may gush accordingly in public over their Bocks, Bohas, Koziols, and so forth without fear...
Joseph E. Smith

CHasR wrote: probably save you's a lot of time/painkillers/motrin also.

... emmm.... heh, Motrin is a painkiller too. Actually, to be more precise, it is an NSAID... ok, not that it really matters or is conducive to the motion or idealology supporting this topic... ermmm, I guess I need another Jamie... heh... ok... whoa, there....
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

emmmm...heh...yeh :wink: there are otc painkillers, and then there are the other kind...not that I would know...
BTW Happy NY, JES. ('06 really {insert adjective here})
Sorry, back OT now :party: :
....niiiice gator.....
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Ahem. :wink:

Anyway, so in instating an "All Pipes non-Uilleann" venue (only posing a big "IF", here), what might suit everyone best? A sticky post right here in the UP Forum? A C&F forum of its own? An ancillary forum like the NAF Forum? Or do we reinvent the UP Forum altogether?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

how about this link?

:D
Joseph E. Smith

I see no reason why it can't be its own forum... that is what I had in mind when I mentioned it to Dale.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Like someone said, there's a gazillion bagpipe forums available, but our C&F forum, and anima's forum, is kind of a unique experience since few of these really exists. UPipers don't have "bands" with pipers everywhere. Most of us pipe in isolation. The advantage here is having pro uilleann pipe makers, pro reed makers, pro players, all sharing insights into this unique and extremely difficult instrument. I know Liestman would be around for Northumbrian pipes, but for a GHB (or other) forum, what kind of expert contributions would be available? It seems like other pipes players would feel more comfortable around a larger community of similar pipers--where myths and misunderstanding get sorted out by professionals.

Bob Dunsire's forum is here http://www.bobdunsire.com/CGI-BIN/ultimatebb.cgi and this forum http://rmartin.proboards23.com/index.cgi says it includes "Birls Gone Wild," and "piping and Dumming" whatever that means! Take a look at Bob's forum. It looks like lots of sub-categories are needed to make it useful. How would you do that here?
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

There are at least 50 or so living bagpipe traditions around the world. (mostly Europe, the rest Middle East and North Africa) The ones catered for are the Great Highland Pipe (teh vast majority of groups), the other Scottish and English pipes, and the UP. That leaves about 45 or so pipes uncatered for. I do not think another Highland forum would serve any useful purpose, but a forum for pipes that are none of the above certainly would.
By the way, in BobDunsire forums the percantage is about that. For every 100 posts on Highland/Smallpipe/ UP you'll have 0.02 posts or so on anything else.
ChristianRo

Post by ChristianRo »

If you ask for a misc bagpipe forum to complement the UP forum, you could well ask for a rec***er forum to complement the whistle forum, too. The end of civilisation, if you ask me :lol:
I would prefer to stick to UP and leave it at that.
Christian