New Boston uilleann pipers club

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fgibbons
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

New Boston uilleann pipers club

Post by fgibbons »

Hi,

I just wanted to announce that a Boston uilleann pipers' club has been taking shape over the past few months. We've been meeting once a month so far, and plan to continue that. We have a google group (http://groups-beta.google.com/group/bos ... ann-pipers), where you can sign up to keep in touch with local goings on. It's open to all.

-Frank
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by elbogo »

Good idea for Boston. You know, you may want to contact Patrick of the Uilleann Pipeworks of Boston and invite him to join, he's a terrific piper.
Uilleann915

Post by Uilleann915 »

Breaks my heart. :( Living in Florida for a year now, after growing up for 25 years 30 minutes north of Boston. One more reason to move back home soon....
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

That's good news- company has lotsa facilities in Boston (Tweaksbury)
Uilleann915

Post by Uilleann915 »

Is that Tewksbury?
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

OK I'm not from there :-)

they have a big red R; if you get my drift
Paul Groff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Paul Groff »

Hi Frank

Congratulations and good luck with the club. . . one more reason I will keep missing the Boston area.

Have you gotten Gene Frain involved at all? I always try to get together with him when I'm visiting Helen Kisiel and Brendan Tonra in Watertown. For those of you who don't know him, Gene is full of all kinds of music and is a great resource about the Irish music tradition in that area, including the pipers and pipemakers.

All the best to the musicians,

Paul
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Uilleann915 wrote:Breaks my heart. :( Living in Florida for a year now, after growing up for 25 years 30 minutes north of Boston. One more reason to move back home soon....
I don't see why a club cannot be started here. Also, check this out...

http://southeastpipersclub.org/sepipers ... sition=2:2
irishpiper
Tell us something.: uyguyguyguygug;skdjvlsa fvla bnsldcv nasnc:sodv jcpoaenvpiseripsertnvpa epaoeunvasuepv; auenr;usaenrviusanrvueapr;gvoajneproivea[orivjae['oirvjnae['oirvnae'oirvnas'[oirvn'[aenv'[saepoirnv['soeirnv['sonv[oeirvn['oeirnv['oisenrv['oisernjv['oisenv[oiserntv[oisenjv[oisrjtb[oisrtj[bsirpotbosirnboisemfvo[sierfvmseoiv

Post by irishpiper »

The last time I visited Gene, his health was not the best, but he does have a vast knowledge of pipes and pipe makers. Gene also playes other instruments as well..he's quite a character..I am moving back home to Boston soon and can't wait to meet all you Boston pipers.

fgibbons..you may want to get in contact with a gentleman named Kevin O'Bryan his lives in the Boston area. Very nice guy and great piper..he has been in the Boston Uilleann Pipe scene for years.
fgibbons
Tell us something.: Been a piper about 20 years (uilleann), flute on and off over the years, classical and trad. Played classical piano growing up, bought one recently for my daughter to take lessons on, and got right back into it, but this time playing Irish tunes (Pádraig O'Reilly is my current idol).

Post by fgibbons »

Paul Groff wrote:Hi Frank

Congratulations and good luck with the club. . . one more reason I will keep missing the Boston area.

Have you gotten Gene Frain involved at all?
Wow - Hi Paul, fancy meeting you here! Does that mean you're still playing the pipes? You should get in touch next time you're up here, we'll have a few tunes - just PM me for contact info.

Thanks for the recommendations from you and others. I've known Kevin O'Brien for a while (took lessons from him years ago), and he's been helping us with the logistics of the club. I know Kevin's a good friend of Gene Frain's too, so maybe we'll get him involved at some point. Certainly his name comes up whenever you mention 'piping' and 'Boston' in the same sentence. I understand his health is not what it might be, but we'll see what we can do.

We've got about nine members in the group, since last Thursday, about half of whom I knew already. I knew there were a lot of "hidden pipers" in Boston, but even I'm surprised at the numbers.

-Frank
bensdad

me too

Post by bensdad »

Since Boston is just a little suburb of Providence, I guess you can include me, if there's anything I can contribute.
Joseph E. Smith

Re: me too

bensdad wrote:Since Boston is just a little suburb of Providence,
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
KevinCorkery

Post by KevinCorkery »

I just found some pictures of Bostons last meeting. Many people that I met from the last East Coast tionol. Looks like they have a healthy start. http://www.uilleannobsession.com/diary_2007.html
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

Pat D'Arcy posted pictures on his site. So who are all those people??? Looks like I get to visit at some point since work probably get me there.
Joseph E. Smith

fel bautista wrote:So who are all those people???
I can only indentify one of them, the ever cheerful and bouncy Patrick Hutchinson... a man of many talents but only two hands. :D :wink:

What I want to know is, who owns all those Taylor chanters?