Uilleann teachers in Sydney, Australia

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
carissa.l

Uilleann teachers in Sydney, Australia

Post by carissa.l »

I am looking for uilleann pipe teachers in Sydney, Australia. I know of pipers in Sydney, but not teachers. I don't know if I should learn to play if there are no teachers around because I really don't want to develop bad habits, etc. So please, if you know of any, leave details below.
giles b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by giles b »

I know that Pat Lyons in Canberra teaches at the "Music Away from the Mountain" thing, now in Victoria not Tasmania, and maybe he would give private lessons.

I would think that at the beginning one would only need a lesson every few weeks, or even less frequently, as it takes a bit to get around the pipes and put into practice everything that you get from a good lesson.

I think you could track Pat down through the "Music Under The Mountain" website (maybe it is "music away from the mountain" now?)

I think that here in Australia you will find a great many of the pipers have had minimal or no formal lessons (perhape one a year or so) and are "self taught' and from what I see there are a good number of competent pipers around.

Good Luck

Giles
goldy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by goldy »

Hi carissa.l,

You don't really need to find a formal teacher - All you need is a willing piper to give you some starting tips and then updates once you are able to master a reasonably smooth flow of air through the chanter. Once you've reached this point, it might be helpful to have more regular sessions with an experienced piper to teach you ornamentation and various other clever tricks.

I just worked things out for myself with a fingering chart and practice until I was able to track-down Pat Lyons about a year later. I had formed a bad habbit of covering tone holes with my fingertips rather than the middle of them so he set me straight. I've also gotten into the habbit of playing from the bellows rather than the bag, but I'm still getting away with that one 6 years down the track (unless I have a play of someone's bellows that require a fair bit of air).

I've helped out a beginner piper in Canberra and have just gotten started with another newbie (essentially reed setup issues and some simple starting tips). If you want to pop down to Canberra one weekend, I'll happily do the same for you. Otherwise, just approach a Sydney piper and ask if they are willing to get you started.

All the best.
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Re: Uilleann teachers in Sydney, Australia

Post by Tony »

carissa.l wrote:I am looking for uilleann pipe teachers in Sydney, Australia. I know of pipers in Sydney, but not teachers. I don't know if I should learn to play if there are no teachers around because I really don't want to develop bad habits, etc. So please, if you know of any, leave details below.
Try contacting pipemaker Ian Mackenzie. He commutes between Lithgow and Blackheath. I'm sure he knows many pipers in Sydney.

Use the Chiff and Fipple search feature and you will find his phone number and address.
carissa.l

Post by carissa.l »

Thanks for your replies. I am aware that a lot of the pipers in Sydney essentially taught themselves, but I just wanted someone in person who I could ask questions to make sure what I'm doing is right. I do know of Ian Mackenzie out near Blackheath and Pat Lyons down in Victoria/Canberra; but it's just a pity that they both are too far away to make multiple visits possible.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Even if you could only make it to Blackheath or Canberra once every four months or so, I think it would still be worth the trip. Be sure to bring a tape recorder if you go. And definitely get Heather Clarke's "A New Approach to Uilleann Piping" book/CD and the NPU videos; you'll get a lot out of them.

Good luck!