Paddy Keenan

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
elbogo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Paddy Keenan

Post by elbogo »

Last weekend my wife and I went to see Paddy at Cafe Carpe, in Ft. Atkinson, Wisconsin. My first time... and it was a concert I'll not soon forget.

One hears all these comments about the legendary Paddy Keenan, and I have to say, I was definitely enchanted. I was carried away by the spirit of it all. Paddy's piping was magical, and thrilling, and I think if you've never seen him play, you're missing out on something exceptional.

What a great person too! I got to hang out with him before and a little after the concert, and he is like someone you've known for years. sh*t, I could go on and on.... suffice it to say, I am now a very big fan.

He did mention that his chanter, made by Q & K, was not quite finished. It has a really nice tone to it, quite lovely, but I thought the bottom D was a little off... due to the weather, which really sucks this time of year!

A great concert!! A wonderful piper!
Last edited by elbogo on Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Elbogo,

I'd have to agree with you. We hosted Paddy and John Walsh last Friday and the concert was superb. I also got to hang out with them both as they came in early Friday afternoon. He is a very easy guy to talk with. We also had a workshop Saturday morning, great time for sure!
elbogo

Post by elbogo »

I should also mention that John Walsh is a hoot, and works quite well with Paddy. He also has a new CD of traditional Irish music just released.
magroibin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

elbogo wrote:I should also mention that John Walsh is a hoot, and works quite well with Paddy. He also has a new CD of traditional Irish music just released.
Yes, I agree. I really like his version of Lord Franklin (Paddy plays pipes on it). And I can't stop playing his tune "Lovely Hurling"...that one is going to have to get worked in at the local sessions! :D

He also brought to my attention a neat little song called "Almost Every Circumstance" - never heard that one before and I kinda like it.
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

Paddy and John will be in Atlanta this week..can't wait! -gary
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

They just played in St. Paul at the Lowry Theater. Great (could I be more understated?) show, wonderful venue. Next evening at a house session, Paddy played a jig he composed; I was very taken with it, and I'll be learning that one for sure. Paddy was concerned that it might be derivative of something else (although none of us had ever heard anything like it before), and John Walsh laughed and said to him, "I don't think YOU should have to be concerned about that!" Great craic all around.

Oh, yeah: during the concert, Paddy asked the audience if we wanted to hear anything in particular, and Éamonn Tunney called out, "The Bucks!". At the end of a set of reels, he got The Bucks, all right. Paddy played the heck out of it something like seven or eight times. :boggle:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Paddy Keenan will be in Jackson MS, today, 10/22 for all those in that area.