Sore shoulder blade area

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sore shoulder blade area

Post by Key_of_D »

Just getting started on the pipes, and learning the bag and bellows, and maybe I'm over doing it? But after last night's practice, (about 40 minutes straight) my back shoulder muscles, near the should blade area, hurt like hell. Especially when I tried lifting something heavy earlier today, and wow, I didn't do that again. Am I over doing it? Or doing something wrong? Or is this normal? This being the arm, that is operating the bellows. My bag arm, doesn't bother me a bit.

-Eric
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Re: Sore shoulder blade area

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Key_of_D wrote:Am I over doing it? Or doing something wrong? Or is this normal? This being the arm, that is operating the bellows. My bag arm, doesn't bother me a bit.

-Eric
I think so. Stretching after each practice is a good idea. Also, relax as much as possible while playing... I know it can be tough to do, but the pay off is so worth it.

The other thing is, you might be working muscles that haven't had to do what you've put them through, aren't used to the attention and that may be why they hurt.

In any case, easy does it and a little bit at a time when starting off. If you're serious about learning to play the Uilleann Pipes, you've got a life time ahead of you for learning and there shouldn't be any need to hurry.
Uilliam

Re: Sore shoulder blade area

Post by Uilliam »

Key_of_D wrote: Am I over doing it? Or doing something wrong?
-Eric
Both ye are probably jerking the bellows and causing that motion to be transmitted to your shoulders etc.and 40mins at the beginning is not really wise.Get the motion right before anything else.I remember 2 students at the London Pipers Club causing severe strain injury to the point they had to pack up learning and get medical treatment.So stop doing it now.Ten minutes at a time is plenty with a break in between ye can gradually work up frae there.Take it easy or ye won't be playing these babies for much longer.
Slán Go Fopill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Yes sir.

:)
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Key_of_D wrote:Yes sir.

:)

... and don't you forget it! :P
Baen

Post by Baen »

Eric,

I had the same thing happen to me the third or fourth time I practiced. Things were going swimmingly, so I kept going for an hour and a half. Big mistake. The next day my whole upper back and shoulder area was sore and tight as can be, and it took a few days for things to feel somewhat back to normal.

I now practice between 30-45 minutes, but this was once I worked up to that and my muscles got used to the movement of using the bag and bellows. As was mentioned, stretching before and after is a good idea (and a few stretches during practice can't hurt either). Stretching, by Bob Anderson, is a good book, and is usually available at the library, or at your nearest new or used book store.

One other thing is to be sure that your reed is adjusted correctly so that you don't have too much pressure to fight against. Of course, some reeds can also require more pressure to play.

Keep up the practice, and eventually you'll be able to play for longer periods of time.

All the best in your playing,

Baen