When to use a wire rush?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

The wire in the throat doesn't neccesarily cure a gurgling low D on any chanter. It's meant for those chanters with oversized throats. But, as I've mentioned before, where it may work with one reed, another (and better) reed may not gurgle at all, so it's mostly in the reed I believe. Same with other wire-cure-alls. A good custom made reed won't require any wires anywhere. Sometimes some chanters just won't work right without a wire though.

I've heard that Leo R. had wires everywhere in his wide bore chanters. Maybe he understood something about tuning/toning down that suited him and his chanters just fine. Maybe he did it that way on purpose??
goldy

Post by goldy »

Following reading comments about Alain Froment's chanters always having a rush in it, I wonder whether he is actually being a nice guy and supplying one should the buyer need it at some point down the track (kinda like some makers supply a spare reed). He is a well reputed maker (I imagine due to consistently making good sets) so lets not be too quick in being synical about why a rush is there. Has anyone ever asked him why they are there?
We could learn a lot from crayons. Some are sharp, some are pretty and some are dull. Some have weird names, and all are different colors, but they all manage to live in the same box.
ceadach
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

Bizarre... I was really impressed with the Froment set that I saw and played, but I hadn't looked up the bore. This would seem a deliberate preference on the part of the builder.

I've ran into some chanters that needed to be rushed just to function at pitch; a friend of mine has a wonderful Willie Rowsome chanter that this is the case with, but that chanter is over 100 years old. (I expect I'll need some tricks to keep going at that point, should I make it that far)

Oh the stuff we do to keep these instruments happy! :boggle:
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Modern concert pitch is relatively new and wouldna been a strict reference point 100 years ago.. for Willie or the rest..there is also some thought that Leo was tuning to the American pitch via his harmonium which was sharp and therefore needs rushing to bring it to 440.(which most of ye seem obsessed wi)

As for supplying a rush already in situ just in case the buyer needs one :boggle: :boggle: c'mon folks thats is just plain daft,..(so if ye don't fancy one in it take it out and then listen to it never mind about years down the road try it now) ? I am sure it will sound a bit different.
This has got to be some sort o joke, although I fail to see the hilarity... Nobody is being cynical (unless it is yersel perhaps)
Simple fact..rush = correction.Once in a while maybe OK... but as a basic design :-?

Not owning one I have no desire to ask him why but if I was spending that sort of cash on it then I certainly would be doing a bit of questioning.
Slán Agat
Uilliam
Last edited by Uilliam on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Thrush is a type of yeast infection that commonly infects the mouth or the vagina. Don't lick railings, y'all...

Oh. Sorry....

As rushes lower the pitch, the Willie Rowsome chanter probably really did need the rush to play in pitch as it was likely built to play somewhere around A=452.

When Brad Angus took a gander at my Cillian Ó Bríain chanter, he said "That thing needs a bore!" And I think he might be right...I prefer the slightly mellower sound with a rush up the bore. But yes, if the chanter's well made (and I'd like to think that mine is), then you shouldn't NEED the effin' thing. Now blu-tack on the other hand...Don't leave home without it...And if you have any theatre-geek friends, steal some of their gaff tape when they're not lookin'. Great, great stuff.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:When Brad Angus took a gander at my Cillian Ó Bríain chanter, he said "That thing needs a bore!" And I think he might be right....
Yes a bore would be helpful it would let the column of air generate a note and connect up wi the finger holes :wink:
Uilliam
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Oh Sweet Lord in a stuka, I knew i had that one coming...

Thanks Uilliam.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Image + Image = Your chanter :wink:
Uilliam
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol:
ceadach
Tell us something.: I am not spammer, I am a human being!! More power to those that foil them!!! The brown fox jumped over the red fence, for what reason, we can not tell you...

Post by ceadach »

OWW>>Sweet God! The Sacred heart of Dubya!!! My poor brain!!!
As for supplying a rush already in situ just in case the buyer needs one c'mon folks thats is just plain daft,..(so if ye don't fancy one in it take it out and then listen to it never mind about years down the road try it now) ? I am sure it will sound a bit different.
Exactly. On purpose or not it is odd in a new chanter. I'd take this up with the builder.

As rushes lower the pitch, the Willie Rowsome chanter probably really did need the rush to play in pitch as it was likely built to play somewhere around A=452.

Very true, Pitch standard was by no means set in stone in Willie's day, as it did for most of history.

The real reason that we care about getting a chanter to spot on A 440 is that we have to play with other musicians who can't tune to us, (like those damned accordions :wink: ) and be to heard on stage. Otherwise we might still be playing flat sets.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

You've never seen a flat piper and an accordeon player play together? Image
ceadach

Post by ceadach »

You've never seen a flat piper and an accordeon player play together?

How flat was the piper?? Two dimensional?? :D

Oddly enough, most box players are unwilling to retuning for a sinlge session. :wink:
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

"ceadach"

Very true, Pitch standard was by no means set in stone in Willie's day, as it did for most of history.

The real reason that we care about getting a chanter to spot on A 440 is that we have to play with other musicians who can't tune to us, (like those damned accordions :wink: ) and be to heard on stage. Otherwise we might still be playing flat sets.
OK then.. why did ye say that ye ran into an old chanter that needed to be rushed if ye already believed in the 1st of the above quoted statements? :-?

and as for the 2nd that is only true if relevant.
For instance the Chieftans play sharp o 440 and they have no trouble being heard on stage,nor tuning to their preferred pitch.
Also I am not aware of anyone having to play with anyone else.Ye don't have to do anything.

As a matter of interest how many of the great Ceilidhe Bands had the pipes and an accordion player together?

also ye wrote..."What the problem with rushing??? Did I misread something?" ...and...
"This would seem a deliberate preference on the part of the builder."
then.."Exactly. On purpose or not it is odd in a new chanter. I'd take this up with the builder. "
...confusing or what???One minute ye are implyig that it is an ok thing(I think cos I am not really sure what ye are saying)the next minute its not an ok thing... :-?

Slán Agat
Uilliam
ceadach

Post by ceadach »

Forgive me, I didn't think my statements would have to hold up to magisterial level scrutiny, I thought we were having a conversation, not a trial. Relax already.
Also I am not aware of anyone having to play with anyone else. Ye don't have to do anything.
I do play with others. If you don't, then you don't have to worry about being in tune with other musicians. Many other pipers do and have, including the pipers in the great old ceili bands. They all came to their own solutions to pitch. It is reasonable to assume that we have to agree on one pitch level, A=440 is as convinient as any.

So far as I can tell, Paddy Maloney plays concert D sets not flat sets on stage. I didn't say anything about them not being able to heard, or having trouble tuning. Nowadays, you can mike just about anything to audible levels. The concert pitch set evolved for great volume, before the days of amplification.

Rushing could be a deliberate choice of a given builder. I did say it was a good choice. If I received a brand new chanter that needed to be rushed to work from the maker... without previous knowledge of it, you can be damned sure I'd take it up with the maker. IS that clear enough???
AlanB

Post by AlanB »

A rush can:-

Pitch your chanter

Tune your chanter

Tone your chanter

It is not readily visible.

It is not a permanent alteration to your chanter or reed.

As Kurt Cobain said ' Mmmmm the rush'

There.......

(sorry Kurt)