Sessions in Cork

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
GalegoMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Sessions in Cork

Post by GalegoMan »

Hi there,

Well, I'll travell to Ireland in December, I'll stay in Cork for several days and I would like to play some trad music there.
Somebody knows a pub with good sessions there?
Thanks
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It's been several years since I moved from Cork but when I lived there, the Spalpin Fanach on South Main Street (across from the Beamish brewery) had a session. At the time, it wasn't too formal but it may have changed since then. There was another session in the Lobby but I've heard that the place is now closed.

Why not get in contact with the local embassy and find out from them what the scene is like.
PJ
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

The sessions at the Corner House and Sin E are still going on. Check the sesssion lisitng at http://www.thesession.org

Spalpin Fanach is a great pub to go into; the snug in front of the fireplace was where the muscians would play.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

There is a great festival in West Cork - Cúil Aodha - December 1-3.
http://www.eigsedhiarmuidin.ie/
fluteress

Post by fluteress »

When I travelled to Cork two years ago, there was a great session at The Gables. Spalfin had a pretty good one as well as The Lobby. :)
alurker

Post by alurker »

Yeah, The Lobby is no more I'm afraid. Closed it's doors last August. (see www.lobby.ie). The Gables on Douglas Street still has tunes a couple of nights a week I think. The Corner house has great trad tunes most nights, with a Bluegrass session on Mondays. The afternoon-night session on the first Friday of each month is a special experience. Just down the street (Coburg St.) is Sin E which has sessions as well. Then there is the Spalpin Fanach on South Main Street. Tunes 7 nights a week.

Enjoy the trip. You won't be stuck for a session, that's for sure.
GalegoMan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GalegoMan »

Thank you very much!
Where I'll find the best western sessions? (I want to travel to west coast too: Burren, Ennis, Connemara, etc) :o
Toca, gaiteiriño, toca; meniñas, correi a velo
que é moita gaita a gaitiña do Gaiteiro de Soutelo.