On eBAY: nice piper photo

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jim McGuire

On eBAY: nice piper photo

Post by Jim McGuire »

ok
Last edited by Jim McGuire on Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

George McCarthy from the Lawrence collection. Torn fro ma book by the looks of it. The originals were in the National Library and probably now in the National Photo Archive. During the early eighties I had all the pictures printed by the Library's reproduction service. Fine prints all fro mthe original glass plate. A fiver each at the time. I assume prints can still be had.
totokots
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by totokots »

The picture looks more like artwork than a photo. An mirror image of that picture was used on the back of the old Irish £50 note (designed by Robert Ballagh?).
Careful men, he wets his plants . . .

http://www.ceolpipes.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

George has made the rounds. My favorite is still the image of him playing his pipes, seated next to a barrel with a large pint of the black stuff on top... well within reach I might add. :D
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

One of the glassplates in the photocollection was actually worked on with the pencil and brush.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

O'Neill said in his book that George played a Taylor set. Any photo's of this Peter?
Was O'Neill mistaking or did he have just more than one set of pipes.
Or could the pipes in the famous photos be a pre-emigration Taylor set?

Tommy
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

The original photo from which this work was made can be seen on the following page from the Uilleann Obsession website:

http://uilleannobsession.com/diary_2004.html

There are some other photos of George there too.

Some of them are blasphemous.

t
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Yes those were the scans I made of the prints I have (or at least two of the five prints I have left) but as I said: among the glass plates was one that was done up with pencil and brush to produce the image on e-bay and it was not the one on the obsession site. Unfortunately I have given away that print so I can't post it here.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

The print of the George McCarthy comes out of a book of Lawrence images that were tranferred to postcard. I have the book - it is about 24 or 30 or 32 pages - one image per page on a slick paper. The price is right for someone to snag it for framing.