reed adjustment for bottom D?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Baen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

reed adjustment for bottom D?

Post by Baen »

The bottom D on my chanter is out of tune----it's sounding with a bit of (unintentional) vibrato. Not much, but definitely noticeable. Any hints at how to adjust the reed for this?

Also, are there any broad generalizations regarding reed adjustments that anyone could offer? I'm a beginning piper, so this is all new to me.

Thanks for any suggestions; it's much appreciated.

Baen
Coffee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

Is the bottom D sounding sharp or flat?
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Baen

Post by Baen »

It sounds a bit flat to me, though not overly bad. Mostly it's the vibrato effect that I never had before. It comes in near the end of the bottom D; not with every bottom D, but at least 50% of the time.
Baen

Post by Baen »

In terms of the sound it's making, it's not so much of a gurgle, but rather more as though I was adding vibrato to the note (I'm thinking of the vibrato I use at times when I play the whistle).

This was the reed that was in the chanter when I was bringing the humidity way down (to 24% for 4 days) in order to release the cork joint so as to be able to get the wooden reed cap off. As a result, the reed closed down completely, but opened up again once I left it out for a day or two in the open air.

It sounds fine in the other notes, but it's just bottom D that's an issue. Guess it's time to start learning about reed adjustment!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Sounds to me like you have a roaring case of the dreaded Autocran. Try, and carefully I might add, opening the the reed (lips) up just a mite by gently squeezing the edges of the bridle and see what happens.

A little bit at a time and easy does it Baen
Reepicheep
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

Mind what you have learned from Jedi-reed Master Kwi-Gon Smith, save you it can!

It cannot be overstated that you won't (and probably shouldn't) see any visible difference in the reed lips. By the time you can "see" it you may have opened them too much. You will, however "hear" the difference when playing.

Back to lurk mode...
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Reepicheep wrote:Mind what you have learned from Jedi-reed Master Kwi-Gon Smith, save you it can!
I woundn't call myself a master, not even close. Maybe when I've spent at least a decade doing it, I'll consider allowing that or a lesser handle.

Besides, an Evil Moderator Dude am I. To the Dark Side I have gone... never to return.