I'm Bored

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
tansy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by tansy »

Lewis, lt's very simple, you've got SPD, seasonal pipers disorder. August and september are the two hardest months in the south. you'll be Ok come October.
shy the blond water
misterpatrick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by misterpatrick »

Speaking of The Dance Music of Willie Clancy, anyone know where I can pick up a copy in the US (other than stealing it off of tommykleen's shelf). I've searched around but can't find it anywhere. Well, other than the aforementioned shelf.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

misterpatrick wrote:Speaking of The Dance Music of Willie Clancy, anyone know where I can pick up a copy in the US (other than stealing it off of tommykleen's shelf). I've searched around but can't find it anywhere. Well, other than the aforementioned shelf.
The Homestead Pickin' Parlor in Minneapolis used to have it Patrick, that's where I got my copy many, many years ago... 1989? 1990?
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

So did Irish on Grand, but no one seems to have it any more.
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

misterpatrick wrote:So did Irish on Grand, but no one seems to have it any more.
Including me. I can't seem to find mine.

hmmmmmm.

Did you try Irish Books and Media?

www.irishbook.com

t
djm

Post by djm »

In my humble experience, when you start geting bored with something, you are at a good point to actually start learning. The portion of the brain that gets bored hates repetition, but the repetition is what is required to ingrain habits (whether good or bad) into the non-verbal part of the brain. I hate getting bored too, but I just remind myself that now I'm really/b] starting to practise.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Chadd

Post by Chadd »

Is it such a problem letting the piping pot simmer on the back burner while the painting pot boils? The focus may shift again when you hit the next inevitable painting plateau.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

There is such a thing as burn out. I think when this occurs, a distraction like painting or anything creative will refresh the mind... eventually, the pipes will fall back in line.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

I got bored of piping once as well - lasted about 5 years. I still did the occasional gigs but stuck to the old repertoir and did no practice but perhaps for or five days a year. It wasn't till I saw a video of me playing one of the gigs that I realised just how much my ability to pipe had backslidden. I thought 'That's it, no more procrastiation...I'm not going to embarass myself any longer with such pityful performances' .....back into it like never before with renewed drive and vigour. I've caught up again to where I used to be and not reluctant to admit that I've also surpassed my previous ability. A stint of boredem eventually paid off by giving me the renewed energy to break through my previous plateau.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
boyd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

...don't get bored...go fishing! This pic is of a place 100m/yds from my front gate.
There are too many great things to do in life to get bored

B

http://www.speyfishing-grantown.co.uk/
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

I just spoke to Seth to find out how he feels.. and Ithink it should be iterated that Seth isn't bored of piping, pipe making, nor Irish music. Not to mention, I was very impressed by a recent chanter of his.

As a professional musician/music teacher who started playing music before his 6th birthday) ...slumps happen. They're due to a myriad of things. The funny thing is, there's always something right underneath your nose that'll jolt you out of your slump. The difficult part is to have the stamina to keep up the search.
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Miles Davis: Keith, do you know why I don't play ballads anymore?

Keith Jarrett: No. Why?

Miles Davis: Because I love playing ballads so much.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

I'm Bored

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Peter Laban on another thread:

Lads, if anyone has a legitimate comment on a particular make of pipes it should be OK to post it here. As I said before it seems perfectly OK to have people who don't know their arse from their tit post glowing comments about pipes here that in reality are dubious at best without anyone raising an eyebrow. For the sake of clarity and fairness it should be possible to raise any legitimate issue here.

agreed

Lewis Blewins:

I'm also bored with the PC of this list. Where are the good ole days when one could have some fun, be provocative, play the devils advocate, and also simply speak honestly? Where did all the guys who could not take a ribbing come from? Why do people misread or interpret one another with increasing frequency? Where's the craic? I don't blame our moderators....I blame the community of those who subscribe and post. Maybe I'm just as guilty.....but .......

most definitely agreed.

I couldn´t resist to stir up things : :P
Lewis Blewins, Liam Hackett and Joseph E. Smith really are the worst pipers I ever saw and Mr. Blewins´reeds and pipes are crap and so are Mr. Smith´s and Mr. Hackett´s paintings.
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

glands

Post by glands »

CRAP

Crafted
Rather
Asthetically
Pleasing