results of operation on stuck reed cap

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Baen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

results of operation on stuck reed cap

Post by Baen »

I finally was able to free up the stuck wooden reed cap on my chanter, and wanted to post how I did it.

I put the chanter in what is essentially an oversized plastic ziploc bag, which I had from my trip to Ireland earlier this year. The brand is "Pack Mate", available through the Rick Steves website or from www.Packmate.com (or perhaps from your local outdoors or travel store). I used the medium sized bag, but it was a bit on the small side; I only got the chanter (about 19" long) to fit by putting it in diagonally. The large size would probably be the best.

Anyhow, I put the chanter in the bag, and then put in a number of dessicant packs (Moisture Magnet), along with a hygrometer. I sealed the bag and left it until the humidity was down to about 25%. Had to leave it like this for about 3 or 4 days, occasionally trying to gently pull the reed cap free.

Finally, the reed cap pulled off, though still not easily. The cork joint let go with a distinct sound. Luckily no damage was done, and the cork itself remained intact.

I'm keeping the cork well-greased at this point to prevent this from happening again. I've thought of leaving the reed cap off when storing it, and just putting it back on when I'm about to play it. It would at least keep the reed cap from seizing up, though the reed itself could more easily become damaged. Any opinions, pro or con, on this?
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Better than using a Sawzall!
daveboling
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by daveboling »

As others have posted in various publications, and on different websites: cork joints are not the way to go for pieces which will stay connected for long periods of time. Hemp/thread joints are much better in these applications. Every instrument that I have owned that had cork joints was intended to be stored in its case disassembled.

dave boling