Willie Week Piping concert

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
stain
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Willie Week Piping concert

Post by stain »

Anyone at the concert?? Any comments on the performances??
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I was at the door sometime after it started but didn't go in :D
djones

Post by djones »

Enjoyed it very much and almost made it to the end... Long concert, no intermission, and the MC was a little... well... "enthusiastic"... :wink:

DJones
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I was hoping to see Sean McKiernan but while talking to Ronan Browne in the shop Terry Moylan told us McKiernan would be the very last on. Didn't feel like hanging around that long so we left.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

It was a great concert; lots of different styles were represented. Lots of great players, including Mick Coyne, Brian MacNamara, Gay McKeon, David Power, Paddy Keenan, etc. I didn't really enjoy the deafeningly loud highland piping at the end, but other that that it was good (long, though).

J.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

feadogin wrote: I didn't really enjoy the deafeningly loud highland piping at the end, but other that that it was good (long, though).

J.
That wouldn't have been Allan MacDonald, would it? I heard he was over there with Margaret Stewart representin' for the Scottish Gaelic tradition...I'm glad that there seems to be more of that sort of that thing going on, although I was a bit taken aback at Muiris Ó Rocháin's slightly aggrandizing assertion on The Late Session that Scottish Gaels would "feel more at home" in Clare than in Scotland.

Good old Allan...Aahhh...Memories of getting wasted and playing piobaireachd...Not always in that order...
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Didn't go to the concert as we were in a nice if somewhat boisterous session in Cleary's - two young Dublin pipers were playing (one had a Bill Hanemann half set (sounding good) with a full set on order he said) and a crazed box player plus a couple of good concertina players, two good singers were there too. Had my pipes going after some earlier chanter reed woes. A very good fiddler turned up as well, would have been well after midnight, she happened to be blind, very impressive.

We met Paddy Keenan down at Con Durham's session in the Marina bar in Dingle on Sunday - nice session by the way, Emer was playing her O'Briain set, both Emer & Con's O'Briain's are sweet sounding D sets, and they play very well. I managed to get my Williams to blend with theirs after adjusting the reed. My chanter reed has been very tempremental these last couple of weeks, didn't like the change from Sweden to Ireland and living in a tent for 12 days I assume. We just got home to Sweden about 5 hours ago
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote: That wouldn't have been Allan MacDonald, would it? I heard he was over there with Margaret Stewart representin' for the Scottish Gaelic tradition...I'm glad that there seems to be more of that sort of that thing going on, although I was a bit taken aback at Muiris Ó Rocháin's slightly aggrandizing assertion on The Late Session that Scottish Gaels would "feel more at home" in Clare than in Scotland.

Good old Allan...Aahhh...Memories of getting wasted and playing piobaireachd...Not always in that order...
Not sure who it was...I was driven out by the pain in my ears. :P

J.
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

remember, the GHP were invented to frighten the enemy when the Scots entered a battle. :lol:
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

We did miss eachother then Steampacket. I was in Dingle sat-sun last weekend just to take a look around. Me and my girlfriend went to a session at some local pub there, don't remember the name. The guitarist, a local called Brian was playing furiously on his nylonstringed guitar and he was really good. I just brought my whistle. Didn't stay so long since the crowd (mainly locals) were totally ballistic...
Rob.
nowadays living in Cobh...
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Hello Rob, pity I missed you then. We drove down to Dingle on Thursday and camped out at the Gallus Oratory. We played at a session at An Bric which was run that night, Friday, by a stern, fast, furious, & loud box player - so after an hour & a half we decided to retreat. On Saturday they was a nice session at the habour pub, T.P's, with Brid, Cillian O'Briain's wife on flute, and box and bodhran players Aina & Aileen. Sunday was the session at the Marina with Con Durham & Emer. Prehaps the pub you vsited was O'Flaherty's. There's a session there every night I think, looks to be wild place.
Harry
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Harry »

I too was outside the door and didn't go in. I got talking to Willie Clancy himself, who is my best friend EVER. He invited me up to a secret house session with my other friends Noel Hill, Lord Lucan, Shergar, Michael Coleman and God.

I do have some lingering regrets about not hearing McKiernan though. I have this proposterous idea in the back of my generously proportioned head that he may actually know something that I don't.

Regards,

Harry.
stain

Post by stain »

Harry I was at that session too. I was however invisible and lingered mostly at the back of the room with the ghost of Garrett Barry. Even in ghost form he can't see a thing and thought God sounded flat and out of time for the most part. He kept asking me was D.J. Carey going to turn up with his bodhran as Garrett is a big fan. Shergar is looking for lessons from Nollaig MacCarthaigh I hear, reckons he the only one that will be able to keep a secret about where he's hidin!!
billh

Post by billh »

if anyone recorded McKiernan's set and might be inclined to point me to an mp3 I would be eternally grateful
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

David Power was broadcast on the last Late Session, prehaps they'll send S. McKiernan's set? Who's Willie Clancy?