Lots of sets for sale these days!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Lots of sets for sale these days!

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

What is up with that? Seems to be more than usual or is it just coincidence or greater advertising on C&F?
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Better living through advertising.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

It is just the latest batch of folk who thought that playing these things would be an easy thing to learn or do and found to their dismay (after having sunk a small fortune into their top shelf full sets), that it is indeed not easy and thus are trying to recoup some of their hard earned losses. :wink:
magroibin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

Another factor is that there are more sets being made these days. This leads to more sets being around - so pipes are bound to change hands more often.

Not that long ago there simply weren't that many uilleann pipes to go around. Finding an available set was like finding a treasure! The more the merrier!!
Greg Schnider

Post by Greg Schnider »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:It is just the latest batch of folk who thought that playing these things would be an easy thing to learn or do and found to their dismay (after having sunk a small fortune into their top shelf full sets), that it is indeed not easy and thus are trying to recoup some of their hard earned losses. :wink:
Hmmmm. Nice incorrect generalisation Joseph. :x
piperdoc

Post by piperdoc »

i agree that people finding out how hard it is may be one factor. another is that unlike the fiddle, guitar, etc, you can't get a playable set for a modest price to start out, and then move up to what you really like.instead, you may start out with a fairly expensive practice set, then realize its not to you liking, and flip it when you get what you really like.
meir
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

This has concerned me to some extent to see more and more hardward out there especially since I just dropped a bunch of dough for my set. One of my rationals being that these things don't lose their value and if need be I could sell it easily. Luckly I'm so pleased with my set I don't think I'll ever want to sell the thing.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
djm

Post by djm »

There is no guarantee that you will get the same, or even a "good" price when reselling. Besides the obvious things like wear and tear and non-functioning reeds to bring your price down, there is also just the natural ebb and flow of the market.

If you want to sell when there are no buyers about, or if there just happens to be a lot of sets for sale at the same time as yours, there is a very real likelihood that you will not get the resale price you wanted. Then it will depend on how desparate you are to sell on whether you drop your asking price, or just wait for the market to cool down.

I am not aware of any predicatable times of the year when the UP market picks up or cools off.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

djm wrote:I am not aware of any predicatable times of the year when the UP market picks up or cools off.
I know of two:

1. Mid january when the Christmas credit card bills start to arrive;
2. After glands wrecks a car.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Greg Schnider wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:It is just the latest batch of folk who thought that playing these things would be an easy thing to learn or do and found to their dismay (after having sunk a small fortune into their top shelf full sets), that it is indeed not easy and thus are trying to recoup some of their hard earned losses. :wink:
Hmmmm. Nice incorrect generalisation Joseph. :x
Thank you very little. At which point did you miss the tongue in cheek?
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

I am afraid I am going to have to lock this thread :sniffle: ermm where is the key ?
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Joseph E. Smith

Uilliam wrote:I am afraid I am going to have to lock this thread :sniffle: ermm where is the key ?
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
:oops: ... sorry boss.
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

I think the market will slowly become saturated and prices will go down for used sets. As more and more makers than ever before keep popping out new sets, there will be quite a few sets on the market. Uilleann pipes are becoming very common just like GHB. There should be a somewhat competitive used market. I don't think pipes will really keep their purchase value unless you hold on to them a really long time.

Take a look at Pat's page.

Both Gallagher sets have not moved for a while and the Childress 3/4 is now down to $3,900 because it won't sell. One would expect prices to go down for used sets as nobody will buy them right away. There are quite a few sets out there now and I don't think people will be as willing to pay full price for a set unless it is by a famous maker. People looking at used sets generally want some kind of a deal. I also imagine this will also keep the price of new sets from going up quickly.
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

BzzzzT wrote:Uilleann pipes are becoming very common just like GHB.
I would certainly disagree.
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Pipes are first and foremost a musical instrument, not an investment.

If we all (myself included) spent as much time practising with our pipes as we do bleating about them on this forum, oh what a happy (and musical) little world this would be.
PJ