Non- piping talents

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
vcolby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by vcolby »

Good topic! A breath of fresh air, well needed.

a) I won the Ontario Varsity Salsa dancing competition once.

b) Soaring 30 feet on a CR250 on a Sunday afternoon.

c) Cycling, cycling, cycling (mentioned already).

Glands definitely gets topic of the month.

Cheers all,

Virgil :lol:
marcpipes

Post by marcpipes »

Drawing, painting, jewelry/metalsmithing, bagpipe making, writing dirty limericks and I used to be a fairly good contortionist(still not too bad, but I'm getting older).
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
glands

Post by glands »

Well....starting the topic....least I could do after trashing a recent one.

Most know that I paint. Landscapes and portraits.

I used to fly airplanes. Great stuff.

I played adult fast pitch baseball until this year when sidelined due to a lingering rotator cuff injury from baseball last year.

I write books...Irish Journal out by the end of the summer...book on a German artist who was banned from GR by Hitler and relocated to Nashville in progress...two medical books published already.

I suppose that I am a good teacher as I receive teacher of the year awards at Vanderbilt on a regular basis. Patients like me....so do cats.....and so do women. 8)
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I'm in the middle of doing an MA in applied linguistics. Prior to that, I taught English in Japan for about 2 1/2 years. I'm a language nut...have been studying Japanese for years but feel like it's barely been a drop in the bucket. Scottish Gaelic is my other linguistic passion--it's the most beautiful language in the world (although Brazilian Portuguese is a close second). Unfortunately, I don't get much of a chance to speak it around Portland, OR. At some point, I intend to resurrect my thoroughly rusty French.

I used to do quite a lot of drawing and painting, but music takes up too much of my free time to pursue it that much these days. Prior to my tailspin into bagpipe-related neuroses, I had shown much promise as an orchestral and jazz trombonist. I keep meaning to get back into that as well, but again, don't have the time to do it very seriously right now. I also occasionally try and bash away at the guitar or the piano but I'm not very good at either.

Other interests in no particular order: foreign films, Renaissance Humanism, Post-Punk England (1978-1984), Japanese modern art, cooking (esp. Chinese, Indian, & Italian).

I'm currently single. Don't everybody line up all at once...
pudinka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by pudinka »

I've been building a small, but honest, house for myself in my spare time for the last 3-4 years...and i'm ready to move in, and soon. Once that happens (moved in) I don't know what I'll do with my spare time...

Practice pipering again...or maybe start another house? The neighborhood has largely gentrified around me and I can no longer afford to live there for the property taxes - the yuppy scum.

...should probably practice the piping/ learn to make reeds.
It's true that you'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar - but a big, steaming pile works best of all.
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Interesting that we have a couple language geeks here. I did graduate work in linguistics as a side-line to the art studies. Specialized in Athabaskan phonology. I also love languages in general. Irish Gaelic is of course wonderful, but I also have a special place in my heart lately for Khmer, which suprisingly sounds a lot like Scottish Gaelic.
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Drawing, painting, making stuff, and flute playing I suppose. Recalling useless details and trivia about various things. And I'm generally good with animals, having lived with dozens of them all my life.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

When I'm not piping :wink: I teach people how to make guitars, etc.

This is a sample of this year's student work:

David
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

I play the harp and run marathons! Dublin again this October, and possibly New York November 2007.
Big Time
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

I stick people with a point-y piece of steel. :-) http://www.usfencing.org

Was ranked as #37 in the US in my age group, but missed a coupla' tournaments, so now down to #62. http://www.usfencing.org/downloads/points/V40MF.pdf
The national tournament is going to be next week in Atlanta, so stay tuned...

Also volunteer and help run Irish Step Dance Feisanna (competitions)...because its so much fun to deal with 500 young dancers and their Irish dance Moms (sorta like soccer Moms but with a temper) ;-)

Drive my MINI..had it for two months and have 3,400 miles on it already.
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com/ga ... user=22992
David and the MINI at the Dragon
Here's a photo of my 15yr old at a place in between TN and NC..fun road!
http://tailofthedragon.com/dragon.html

Oh, I also have a job and manage the design and engineering for a global voice and data network with 250+ locations in 90 countries. (where the money comes from)
There is no try, only do or not do. - Yoda
liestman

Post by liestman »

Snoogie, I drive the exact same MINI but without sunroof and with racing stripes!

I also poke people, but with sharp pieces of paper (I am a technology auditor) and spend a lot of time learning the latest computer hacking techniques and fraud scams (all for good causes, of course).

Otherwise, I just make Northumbrian smallpipes and am raising my two year old twins, in between visits to see how Pudinka is doing on building his house. Last time I was there we had about 10 pipers and David Quinn, so Pudink Manor is becoming a piping Mecca!
yer friend and mine,
John Liestman
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

I'm in on the fiddle but need a teacher.
Cycling-THE TOUR starts in a couple of days, so I'll be glued to the cable for the next 20 days. I'm currently restoring a 753 Raleigh with period components. See my avatar.
And, I'm a fairly good cook, at least that's what the wife and kids tell me.

almost forgot: in another life, I was a reasonable good portrait/sports photographer-
Last edited by fel bautista on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
tansy

Post by tansy »

well, I spend as much time on the sail boat as on land. very into solar systems, on board especially, and making the boat just right in every way.
I know alot about rigging, even though my boat now is modern, I sailed gaff rigs and studied all the old ways and rigged boats for years.
I build ocaissional pieces of furniture for money.
Just finished a new mainstock for my D half set, I dabble in certain aspects of pipe making.
Lately, I have become an obsessive reed maker, and am having shockingly good results :D , at last.
Canoeing and fancy cooking.
shy the blond water
anima

Post by anima »

computer graphics http://www.animavitae.com/choice/choice2.htm

running that "other" forum.

Jeff
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I glue damn seeds to a damn board.

http://www.cropart.com/dtomklei.dir/cagtomk1.htm

T