Instruments for sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Instruments for sale

Post by glands »

The Porsche has been wrecked for the third time in 10 mos and 7200 miles. Not me! Hit while parked, legally and in well defined spaces, by three separate parties incl my dear mom, an anonymous driver, and a young man working valet. This last has cost me some real cash as the guy who did it, though a poor college student with no money or assets who made a simple mistake of driving an SUV over the front end, cannot pay. My insurance wants me to sue if they pay and I will not let that happen as the dude is poor, 20, and scared stiff. So, I'm having an infrequently used instrument sale to raise funds.

Concertina. Bought for daughter at Custys in Ennis 3 years ago. Has been used about....oh....say one hour. It is a "Clareman" and the agent is J. Shiels. Has a #280 on it. Has 15 buttons on each clapper. Stainless steel, black wood of some sort and black leather. Nice wooden box case included. Paid $1500. Will sell for $1000 USD. You pay estimated shipping and insurance.

B chanter by Koehler and Quinn. Not sure of the wood....Mopane or Rosewood or something like that. Has ebony finger guides (Braille) for lower hand for people like some of us who need help finding the stretch. Mounts are artifical ivory. Needs a new reed as the Koehler reed collapsed on itself a year ago. The remains of the reed can be supplied with the chanter for those who need the staple and reed head blades as a sample. Worth over 2000 Sterling but will sell for $1400 USD....what I paid plus a guesstimated adjustment for inflation. You pay estimated shipping and insurance/ handling.

NSP's
with 9 keyed chanter in F by Richard and Anita Evans of or near Northumberland/Cumbria/etc.. Excellent set. Blackwood of some sort, Boxwood mounts and brass ferrules. Plays well and in in tune with itself. Will not be sold with a bellows as I use the beehive set of bellows to power the set. This is an excellent set that I will sell for what I paid at $2500 USD. You pay shipping, handling and insurance.

Porsche. Low mileage. Wrecked three times while parked. Goes REALLY fast. More than makes up for small penis. $65,000.00 USD

Contact me at glands@comcast.net or by PM if interested.
marcpipes

Re: Instruments for sale

Post by marcpipes »

glands wrote: My insurance wants me to sue if they pay and I will not let that happen as the dude is poor, 20, and scared stiff. So, I'm having an infrequently used instrument sale to raise funds.
My hat is truly off to you. That shows a comendable level of forgiveness, mercy(and a great understanding of futility). I hope you make all your sales and more. Were I not as poor as said 20 year old miscreant, I'd by the lot.
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

marcpipes wrote:My hat is truly off to you. That shows a comendable level of forgiveness, mercy(and a great understanding of futility). I hope you make all your sales and more. Were I not as poor as said 20 year old miscreant, I'd by the lot.
Second that totally.

The K&Q chanter sounds like a bargain. Would grab it if I had the money...
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Lewis

When you get your K&Q C# I will take that. Just kidding I actually have a C# on order too.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Good on you Lewis. Good luck with the sale. :)
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

Wow, you’ve got a good heart to be helping this kid out like this!
I’ve been having some bad luck with my auto as well. Some one broke into mine outside my house and stole my car stereo. The stereo had my Eliot Grosso CD in it!!!

Next, I brought my rental to the Philadelphia Irish center this weekend for the Tom Standeven event and someone was nice enough to rub their car against mine! What a pristine Neon it was too :=)

Anyway, again Hats off to you man!!!
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

First Warren Buffett, now this!!

Whats happening to the world? :)

David
glands

Post by glands »

B chanter sold. A gentleman contacted me last eve with serious interest in purchasing the B chanter. He confirmed his interest this morn so it is no longer available. It will be going to a good home in So Cal.

Oh yeah, for the record and in response to those who asked...it has all the keys.... except the key to the Porsche. Interestingly, the tone hole spacings are about the same as those for my Beehive chanter by K&Q.
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

You say the young man was working valet? Just a thought, why did this place hire someone to be a valet who has no insurance? I personally think the establishment should be held responsible. With no insurance, that kid had no business driving anybody's car.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Glands - if memory serves, this is the second time you've had to put pipes on the block because of car accidents. Why don't you just buy a bicycle? :wink:
PJ
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

PJ wrote:Why don't you just buy a bicycle? :wink:
glands wrote:Goes REALLY fast. More than makes up for small penis.
I think he explained it pretty clearly.... :lol: :lol: :o :o

Regardless, you've got a BIG heart sir...not many people would be so kind and generous.

-g
glands

Post by glands »

Parking with Valet 101. First thing you need to know....NOBODY is responsible. Here is what I have learned. Business owners usually pay a valet company pocket change, perhaps $50 per night, to operate valet so patrons can drive up to front door and let somebody else park their car. The valet company owner then hires unbonded uninsured independent contractors, usually college dudes, to park cars for tips. The business owner, usually working several establishments, takes out insurance to cover catastrophic damage such as a contractor running over a pedestrian. Deductible is usually high, such as $5000, to keep costs down. Cars are not parked on restaurant property so they are not usually going to accept liability. The city does not accept liability for damages if car parked on street and private lots, if valet uses them and even though the business may lease the lot to have their patrons cars parked, all have disclaimers that they are not responsible for damages. The ticket valet gives you says not responsible for damages. It is a circus of people who deny liability and don't have the cash to cover damages in the first place. Valet owners do pretty good....10 or so businesses paying $50 per night can add up for doing nothing except hiring 20 year olds to work for tips.

To share more of the story, the owner of the business, a grad student I think, told me he would have his insurance company fix my car. When I called him with the estimate he was shocked. He tried to get me to help him defraud his personal automobile insurance by agreeing it was he who had backed over my car in his truck after having already explained that one of his contractors ran over it with an SUV. He flat out asked me to lie about when and where I was parked, to state that I self parked, etc. I decided that it was best to just tell him to go take a hike thru Hades and pay for the car repairs myself. Legal fees would add up and time off work would quickly consume the funds....cheaper and less hassle to pay for it. Plus, I don't want any college kids getting sued by my insurance company who is reluctant to pay. Probably would have a tough time winning legally anyways with the not responsible for damages disclaimer on the back of the valet ticket.

The instruments are rarely used. I will prefer to keep the NSP's anyways unless I can get full price for them. I play them about once every quarter.

If I hadn't written huge checks to the Feds (who, along with state and local taxing authorities, take, yes TAKE, when the year is over, 45% of every dollar I make) and my daughters private school (which annually costs 4 times what I paid per year for med school) I would not have needed to sell anything. I do believe the education I am giving my daughter is well worth it and the money to the Feds is worth it some of the time. Anyways, reserves too low and I prefer for excellent instruments to be in good hands.

P.S. My wife has not (yet) totaled the replacement garage door.
glands

Post by glands »

My wife says I can't see well enough to drive the Porsche.....for the ....uh...ahem.... standing in my visual pathway due to the excitement of driving it. Don't believe all that you hear regarding Porsches and size. :P
No E

Post by No E »

glands wrote:My wife says I can't see well enough to drive the Porsche.....for the ....uh...ahem.... standing in my visual pathway due to the excitement of driving it. Don't believe all that you hear regarding Porsches and size. :P
Cosmic justice--you're not allowed to have a Porsche unless you (ahem) need one.

All kidding aside, sorry for your troubles and I hope the instruments all go to good homes (I know the B stick is).

-Larry
PTE--World Tour 2009-until we're all dead.
KAD

Post by KAD »

[quote="glands"] Porsche. Low mileage. Wrecked three times while parked.
[/quote]

Should we expect your avatar to change? How about a nice close-up shot of the damage? To the car, I mean.

KAD