Death Grip

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Death Grip

Post by Nanohedron »

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadogin »

You're scaring me....
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

That's my hands after playing for a while.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

What's that outfit you're wearing? That's scaring me....
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Oh, I thought you were about to tickle someone!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Cynth wrote:What's that outfit you're wearing? That's scaring me....
Please, Cynth. Try to stay on topic. :wink:
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Nanohedron wrote:
Cynth wrote:What's that outfit you're wearing? That's scaring me....
Please, Cynth. Try to stay on topic. :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

She is on topic! We are talking about the scary picture!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Seriously, though, any recommendations for "death grip"? It's getting better, but it seems to me I'm at the stage where I have to really pay attention to relax. And sometimes it actually works, too.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

feadogin wrote:She is on topic! We are talking about the scary picture!
Death Grip is scary. Baron von Raschke (the gentleman in the photo) looks like a rather charming fellow, if a bit eccentric.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

Aww, so serious! :P

I recommend you get a light reed. That helps a lot. Whenever I am having reed problems, that's when my death grip gets worse.

I also try practicing while keeping my thumbs off the chanter, since that's where I get the most pain.

J.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

He's (baron, the CLAW) actually a really nice fella. I met him many, many years ago at an Italian fast food joint (Sbarros, at Towne Square in downtown St. Paul MN) where I worked as a chef. He and his family came in fairly often for lunch on the weekends. Nice family.

You get rid of the death grip by forcing yourself to not hold the chanter tightly. It takes a concerted effort at first, but eventually as you become more accustomed to piping, you can focus less and less on the death grip.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

feadogin wrote:Aww, so serious! :
:lol: I thought I was being "dry". :lol:
feadogin wrote:I recommend you get a light reed. That helps a lot. Whenever I am having reed problems, that's when my death grip gets worse.
Thanks. I can see how that would do it. My reed's playing medium-to-light right now, I think. I'm seeing my grip woes are more along the lines of, "Oh, crap. Here comes that triplet again"...
feadogin wrote:I also try practicing while keeping my thumbs off the chanter, since that's where I get the most pain.

J.
Double thanks! I hadn't thought of that. Someone also mentioned to me the idea of controlling the chanter with the left hand, which paradoxically tends to relax both. Anyone heard of this? Any credence to it?
Last edited by Nanohedron on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
djm

Post by djm »

Same old advice - try playing without the thumb on the bottom hand touching the chanter. That usually helps for the bottom hand. For the top hand, try playing back d with just the corner tip of the thumb instead of the flat of the thumb. Its not as effective for death grip, but you have to cover the back d hole. Its uncomfortable enough that it will discourage you from squeezing too hard.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Okay, I can see the one hand, your right I think, that is being held out in front of you. But what is it that you do while playing the pipes that would result in your left hand gripping your forearm that way? :lol:

Seriously. Here is an article that ausdag gave that I found very helpful for learning to relax:
http://galaris.com/modules.php?op=modlo ... =0&thold=0
The idea is that you do have to really pay attention to relax.

This was a discussion about death grip that I bookmarked, it had some good ideas I thought:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=32408

I think it is good to take breaks. These are some hand care exercises for flute players, but I use them when I practice the whistle:
http://www.mindspring.com/~shin-on/handcare.html

Since I have never played the pipes, I think you can feel confident that my information is quite unbiased.