WTB: Highland pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Paul Reid
antispam: No

WTB: Highland pipes

Post by Paul Reid »

Hey gang,

I have a friend (not me really!) who would like to buy a set of reasonably good highland pipes. Anyone know of a set for sale, or any forum that I could go to in search of one?

Thanks!
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
rgouette
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

GHB

Post by rgouette »

I'm not a traditional player, but folks have always loved the sound of these babys:

http://www.hotpipes.com/p3order.html

Where I live, they're the ideal solution for the colossal seasonal changes in temp/humidity.

You could perhaps find aset for $650.00+\-
Unless you're simply not going to settle for anything but wood....

my .02
Cheers!
Rich

:wink:
canpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by canpiper »

I would stay away from the Dunbar's - they're not a good investment (and are the subject of some ridicule amungst highland pipers).

Piper and Drummer is not a bad place to check for used sets:

http://www.piperanddrummer.com/classifieds/

And some pipeband societies have classified adds - though I don't believe that the PPBSO (Piper's and Pipeband Society of Ontario) does. Given your location, I would tell your friend to contact Celtworks.com if she is looking for a new set.
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

canpiper wrote:I would stay away from the Dunbar's - they're not a good investment (and are the subject of some ridicule amungst highland pipers).

Not sure where you got your information on Dunbars from. Dunbar's are fine pipes. I'm actually about to get a new set of Dunbars because I'm so Pleased with them.. I know many professional pipers playing Dunbars. You cannot go wrong with a set of Dunbars... Seth
Paul Reid

Post by Paul Reid »

I think canpiper referred to the quality of a good set of pipes retaining their value - which is what I'm probably looking for. Not sure how long my friend will have them for and to resell at the same price is preferable. Advice taken on all accounts though - thanks! More options would be appreciated. I'm in a hotbed of Highland piping in Toronto, but very unfamiliar with the GHB territory. Good quality used pipes would be best. (And let's not get into a debate on plastic vs. wood, thanks.)

Cheers,
PR

\\
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

Paul Reid wrote:I think canpiper referred to the quality of a good set of pipes retaining their value
Dunbar's are quality pipes, Jack Dunbar started making pipes in the early 1930's under the famous Peter Henderson; Dunbars in Blackwood and Plastic they will retain their value if you take care of them..
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

I see nothing wrong with Dunbars. The negative opinions are regarding the Dunbar Poly's. Delrin, "polypenco" or whichever it is now. And with those, there is nothing wrong. Many GHB pipers start with Dunbar Poly then step up to blackwood later one...AND hold on to the Dunbar Poly's as a bad weather/rough handling set. In fact most GHB Pipers with multiple sets, maintain a set of Dunbar Polys.

I have heard some terrible set-ups with Dunabr Polys. HOWEVER that was the operators fault. Just because they are lower maintenance does not mean that the *set up* part is low maintenance / low attention. Bad set-up and reeding can make Anything sound terrible. Some GHB pipers just *happen* to set up Dunabr polys that way.

Peter Crisler happens to make Delrin Pipes as well. Aesthiticly.. they are better looking than many Blackwood Pipes, (IMHO) in that they have Crislers more imaginative "beaded combing" pattern. I have a set of Crisler Rose de Boise Pipes with my McHarg A440 chanter set up. My rough weather / harsh handling "cat fi**ing" pitch Bb +40 cent set up is a set of Blackwood Gibsons.
rgouette
Tell us something.: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

~Jesus of Nazareth

hmm

Post by rgouette »

"and are the subject of some ridicule amungst highland pipers"

Which is reason #2 why I took up Uilleann pipes.
The Uilleann piping community seesm to be several notches lower on the , shall we say....anal scale.
That's for me.

Glad I can feel vindicated on the Dunbar comment though...
Paul Reid

Re: hmm

Post by Paul Reid »

rgouette wrote: The Uilleann piping community seesm to be several notches lower on the , shall we say....anal scale.
Really?? :lol:

All comments appreciated, now back to the topic. If anyone has further comments regarding where I could find a good set of used GHB's in Canada (Toronto & GTA even better!!) I would be most grateful!

Cheers,
PR

\\
paritus

Post by paritus »

Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Yep, Dunsire is a good place to look. I just sold my GHBs to fund my Gaita, and did it throught the Dunsie forum. I would recommend McCallums for bang for the buck, good pipes and a good price, I had a set of AB4s.
uilleannfinlander

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Joseph E. Smith

Re: hmm

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Paul Reid wrote:
rgouette wrote: The Uilleann piping community seesm to be several notches lower on the , shall we say....anal scale.
Really?? :lol:
Hard to believe, but true in my experience. :D
Celtic983

Post by Celtic983 »

Unseen122 wrote: I would recommend McCallums for bang for the buck, good pipes and a good price, I had a set of AB4s.
Totally agree with this. I recently got a set of McCallums and bang for buck...the way to go.
I then came home, and went whistling all over the house, much pleased with my whistle, but disturbing all the family.

Benjamin Franklin
Ed Harrison

Post by Ed Harrison »

I have a set by Hammy Workman. He was living at that time in Mass. He probably taught most people on the east coast that are now over 45. They were made in about 1989 in blackwood. Contact me by PM if interested. I'm in South Carolina..... Ed