to the hobby makers -- making drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
myrddinemrys
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Islandpiper wrote:Funny how people just love to take on a tradesman's job......because there can't be much to it.......but they never do their own dental work, or spey their own dogs........
Actually DIY neutering has been done. My mom's brother's stuffed a tomcat into a boot and took care of it themselves because the family couldn't afford a vet. But all of that is besides the point.

Good luck on the drones! Keep us updated. Hobby pipemaking is fun, albeit tedious and painstaking. You could check out Chris Bayley's site too: http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/Plans/Uilleann-key%20.htm
I've also heard rumor of a CDROM by Sean Reid that could help. I haven't got a hold of it yet myself.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
Islandpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Islandpiper »

Isn't it fun to throw a hammer into the bee-hive once in a while and see what flies out?
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Just don't stick your head in it.
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

http://www.smallparts.com Smallparts.com has an excelent selection of "telescoping" tubing. It is precsision tubing. One of these times I plan to make a GHB conical bore chanter with the stuff...

I havenet heard of it being done.. But I see no good reason why you couldnt *try* making a drone with tubing. Not too unlike the "kitchen pipe" thingies some GHB players have. [/url]
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Rockymtnpiper wrote:http://www.smallparts.com Smallparts.com has an excelent selection of "telescoping" tubing. It is precsision tubing. One of these times I plan to make a GHB conical bore chanter with the stuff...

I havenet heard of it being done.. But I see no good reason why you couldnt *try* making a drone with tubing. Not too unlike the "kitchen pipe" thingies some GHB players have. [/url]
Like this half set maybe.

http://www.uilleann-pipes.com/gallery/d ... 303e295dcd

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

to the hobby makers -- making drones

Post by Hans-Joerg »

From an aesthetic point of view> Bear in mind that the proportions between pipe diameter and bending distance are very important to „please the eye“. If it is too wide it looks „unpleasant“ but if it is too narrow it does so as well. See for example Leo Rowsome´s proportions supplied by Christopher Bayley:
http://www.bagpipeworld.co.uk/Plans/Uilleann-key%20.htm
Cheers,
Hans
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

I've just started out un-officially, no-one is trying to shut me down. :-? Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about?

After all, it's a business for some HOBBIES for others. It's a hobby for me.

upiper71
myrddinemrys

Post by myrddinemrys »

Don't mind the fussers. You'll have to appreciate their "Support your local pipemaker" stance from time to time. You just keep doing your thing and people like me who are interested will keep an eye on any updates, photos, etc.
Are you using someone's plans for the drones?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I applaud any and everyone who tries their hand in making these things, or some aspect of them. This sort of thing keeps the instrument and its music thriving. Those who are currently well known makers of the Uilleann Pipes and their apprentices do not have anything to fear. In the case of Mr. Woof, Mr. Gallagher, Mr. Koehler & Mr. Quinn, Mr. Roggee, Mr. Fromment and every other highly sought after maker, there's more than enough work to keep them busy... for decades in some cases.

Right now, from what I can gather, the demand is higher than the supply.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

FOR SALE: Geoff Wooff full set in B

NOT! ;)

PD.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:FOR SALE: Geoff Wooff full set in B

NOT! ;)

PD.
Well, I've had my heart stopped for today... :lol:
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

myrddinemrys wrote:Don't mind the fussers. You'll have to appreciate their "Support your local pipemaker" stance from time to time. You just keep doing your thing and people like me who are interested will keep an eye on any updates, photos, etc.
Are you using someone's plans for the drones?
Using the C ginsberg plans,and a bunch of help from different sources but came up with C sharp in the true pitch..but I've got a tenor buzzing to say the least.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I mentioned it as a joke some time back but when you consider the 14 year waiting lists for the likes of Wooff & Froment, a person could learn quite a bit about pipemaking in that time and make themselves a fairly respectable set of pipes, not to mention building their own reputation.

For those of you who embark on the journey, more power to your lathes!! I'll look forward to enjoying the fruits of your labours!!
PJ