to the hobby makers -- making drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Gabriel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

to the hobby makers -- making drones

Post by Gabriel »

Am thinking about starting a project I had in mind for some months now - making drones for my Bb practise set. I'm short on money and can't afford "professionally made" drones, so making them by myself should be a logical consequence (and less expensive of course. And more fun.). I already turned and partially reamed a flute on a lathe (with guidance by Mr. Rogge) and didn't found that woodturning stuff too difficult. And since drones are not much more than some hollow sticks with fancy tubings attached to them (ha, ha), that should be manageable...I think.

I know that there are hobby makers lurking around here, so I hope some of you might share your experiences with making piping stuff. What tools (beside a basic lathe and the corresponding woodturning tools of course) did you use? Did you roll the tubings yourself or purchased tubing from the local DIY store? How did you bend the tubes for the bass drone?

Thanks for any hints... :)

Best,
- Gabriel
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by marcpipes »

You'll find a good bit of info on yahoo's amateur bagpipe makers group.
Go through the list of posts and you will find most of your questions answered.
Marc
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

...and there's been a fine discussion of tube bending here, Gabriel:

http://uilleannforum.com/forums/viewtop ... 08&start=0
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

John Mulhern wrote:...and there's been a fine discussion of tube bending here, Gabriel:

http://uilleannforum.com/forums/viewtop ... 08&start=0
To be certain!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Thanks. Didn't know that there's a newsgroup for making bagpipes -- good to know that.

And thanks for the link, John. That's what I wa slooking for. :)
bwilson

Post by bwilson »

I made my own set of drones to go with my penny chanter practice set. I don't have a lathe or any experience turning wood, so I used brass tubing inside of CPVC pipe (painted black with some white plastic "mounts" to make it look decent). It's not the prettiest halfset you've ever seen but at least the drones match the chanter. :)

I spent some time trying to figure out how to bend the tubing for the bass drone slide, and I eventually decided to make an "H" slide because I was using thin-wall tubing that I didn't expect to bend very well. I took my time shaping the cross-piece to fit perfectly over the holes drilled in the sides of the tubing, and I got a friend to help me solder it in place. It turned out reasonably well. You might want to consider that as alternative to a U-bend.
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

There are some pipemaking related links on this page:

http://www.nwup.org/Links.htm

David
Islandpiper

Post by Islandpiper »

Funny how people just love to take on a tradesman's job......because there can't be much to it.......but they never do their own dental work, or spey their own dogs, maybe never change the oil in their cars, but are happy to beat a working man out of his day's pay........
Joseph E. Smith

Islandpiper wrote:Funny how people just love to take on a tradesman's job......because there can't be much to it.......but they never do their own dental work, or spey their own dogs, maybe never change the oil in their cars, but are happy to beat a working man out of his day's pay........
:-?
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Islandpiper wrote:Funny how people just love to take on a tradesman's job......because there can't be much to it.......but they never do their own dental work, or spey their own dogs, maybe never change the oil in their cars, but are happy to beat a working man out of his day's pay........
:-?
Really... what provoked that?
djm

Post by djm »

Tony wrote:Really... what provoked that?
Possibly a misperception that there are pipemakers languishing in the corridors desparate for a bit of piece work to come their way.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

He's thinking of 'union pipes'.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Funny how people just love to take on a tradesman's job......because there can't be much to it.......but they never do their own dental work, or spey their own dogs, maybe never change the oil in their cars, but are happy to beat a working man out of his day's pay........
Couldn't aggree more!!!!!!!!!

Or the lad who just got the practise set 6 months ago and is going into the studio to make an album to get festival work with.......

Tommy
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Hmm...either I do it myself and take the tradema's job, or I don't do it and take his job anyways since I simply can't afford buying what I'm going to make myself.

So what's better, hum?
Joseph E. Smith

It is useless to make such a remark. Honestly, do you (Island Piper) really think that somebody making a home made set of drones is really going to harm or cut into anybody's pipe making business?