Narrow Bore

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bay_1

Narrow Bore

Post by bay_1 »

I'm looking to buy a set of pipes.

I'm interested in more mellow narrow bore pipes.
What makers make these?
Are there any narrow bore sound samples on the net?

Thanks,
K
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I'm surprised your question hasn't sparked another dispute about narrow bore D chanters.

Do a search on the word 'narrow' and you will see many discussions. Here are a few:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... 8f4145adbc
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

If by narrow bore you are referring to pipes pitched in C and B, there are quite a few who do make them. If you want C# or Bb, and there are fewer who do, but they are oput there and some contribute to this board fairly regularly, like Billh for one... although I am uncertain if he makes Bb.

Ray Sloan is about the only maker of narrow bore Ds that I am aware of, but that doesn't mean there aren't more out there. I'm not certain if David Boisvert still makes them or not.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Ray Sloan is about the only maker of narrow bore Ds that I am aware of, but that doesn't mean there aren't more out there.
Doesn't Geoff Wooff make narrow bore D? What's his waiting list currently? 14, 15 years?
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

PJ wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Ray Sloan is about the only maker of narrow bore Ds that I am aware of, but that doesn't mean there aren't more out there.
Doesn't Geoff Wooff make narrow bore D? What's his waiting list currently? 14, 15 years?
I know he has, but I am uncertain if he still does. Peter would know I think. Mr. Laban?
simonknight
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by simonknight »

Brad Angus makes a narrow bore D chanter.
Simon
djm

Post by djm »

Joe Kennedy is so popular for his narrow bore stuff in all keys that his waiting list is now up to 4-5 years.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:]

I know he has, but I am uncertain if he still does. Peter would know I think. Mr. Laban?

Geoff originally introduced the concept of the narrow bore chanter during the 80s (or maybe as it isn't completely unprecedented should I say re-introduced? Everybody thought it a novelty at the time). He still makes them when asked.
Joseph E. Smith

Thanks Peter. Well, there you have it. :)
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Makers of narrow bore D chanters...
Rogge, Hunter, Hubbert.
billh

Post by billh »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:...If you want C# or Bb, and there are fewer who do, but they are oput there and some contribute to this board fairly regularly, like Billh for one... although I am uncertain if he makes Bb.
Not yet, though it's in the plan. I'm doing C#/C/B at the moment.

I am messing about with narrow bore D as well, but both of those pitches are still in the R&D phases. Two issues with narrow bore D are that the good historic examples that one might copy are old enough that their fingering may be slightly non-standard by modern estimation, and they may not play at their best in modern concert D. Getting from there to a narrow bore D that plays in modern A=440 pitch with "modern" fingering is likely to take a fair bit of experimentation.

regards

Bill
Fergmaun
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Fergmaun »

Pat Stones Luton England www.patstones.com also makes D narrow bore chanters which I have placed order with.

This narrow bore chanters is a copy from Geoff Wooff D chanters and Wide bore D copy is Cillian O'Briain's chanters.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... pat+stones

Cheers

Ferg
Fergus Maunsell
Belfast
Ireland

http://www.myspace.com/fergusmaunsell
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I think David Boisvert also makes narrow bore D. Geoff Wooff makes marvelous pipes, but has a hideous wait and only sells full sets at this point.
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Dave Parkhurst wrote: Geoff Wooff makes marvelous pipes, but has a hideous wait and only sells full sets at this point.
Dave
:lol: :lol: he just (two days ago) brought me a chanter, He also had a B chanter for Declan Dillon so I suppose (again) it depends on who's asking. The wait was terrible: I asked for the chanter late september. It is marvelous though, you got that right. :wink:
Joseph E. Smith

Peter Laban wrote:
Dave Parkhurst wrote: Geoff Wooff makes marvelous pipes, but has a hideous wait and only sells full sets at this point.
Dave
:lol: :lol: he just (two days ago) brought me a chanter, He also had a B chanter for Declan Dillon so I suppose (again) it depends on who's asking. The wait was terrible: I asked for the chanter late september. It is marvelous though, you got that right. :wink:
Ooooooooh, you are a wicked, wicked man Mr. Laban. :twisted: But all the same, I hope the chanter is playing nicely.