Narrow Bore

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: But all the same, I hope the chanter is playing nicely.
It will eventually. I hate new reeds, balancing out the regs again etc but it will be perfect once played in. In fact after playing a few hours yesterday the reed was clearly settling in a bit more.
The old chanter is actually quite good but in comparison the new one has a more solid lower hand, the Es in both octaves are better balanced for tone and tuning, C natural and C sharp are both really spot on, high B doesn't rise above equal temp B. So there is less compensation involved in making it play right. The new reed is still a bit stiff and needs to loose some rough edges. It took the old chanter/reed a few weeks to settle in properly and it kept improving with playing for a long time after and twenty years later it is in fact still going nicely. Tonally it's similar to the old one but as yet with a touch of both Pat Mitchell and Ennis' chanters. You get worse. :P
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Peter

Its good to hear that you got your new schtick. I suppose I'll get a good listen to it during the summer. (Is it like mine?)

John Moran
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

It is (like yours). Just had Geoff do a tiny bit of undercutting on the A hole and it's perfect now. Did a bit of work on the reg reeds so they are better now too. Not bad for a nice summer's day.

Tommy Keane was in too, getting the B to perfection. He too wondered what to do now: there wasn't anything left to complain about, not even the weather :P
Seanie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Seanie »

Peter

Wait until week willie and there will be the traffic, tourists, pubs, in fact any amount of things to complain about :)

Keep well and I'll see you soon

John Moran
Sean Dillon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Sean Dillon »

delete