Are these Kirk Lynch drones?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
flooter1979

Are these Kirk Lynch drones?

Post by flooter1979 »

Are these Kirk Lynch drones? Looks like they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Uilleann-Bagpipe-Bl ... dZViewItem
Reepicheep
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

No.
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Reepicheep wrote:No.
... stay away, far away, from this stuff.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

What's the giveaway?
Joseph E. Smith

For starters, the Other Worlds logo on the photos. Then, in the photos you can see the el cheapo bag cover that a lot of Pakistani bags come with.

I believe Kirk has changed the turnng of his drones slightly, recent sets I have seen do not look like the Pakistani sets any longer... but I am guessing here, really.
Reepicheep

Post by Reepicheep »

Another giveaway is the presence of the mount and corresponding tube for a bass regulator (minus the actual bass regulator).
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Joseph E. Smith

Reepicheep wrote:Another giveaway is the presence of the mount and corresponding tube for a bass regulator (minus the actual bass regulator).
Oh yeah... forgot about that. :lol:
Kevin Popejoy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

tommykleen wrote:What's the giveaway?
Besides what's already been mentioned...just quality issues. The turnings, while of similar layout are no where near his standard. Kirk also does very nice details on his metal work. The inscribed lines aren't even close. Additionally, the radius' on the tubing bends are wrong and the stock isn't close either. The big honking screw on the drone switch post is something else. k
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:I believe Kirk has changed the turnng of his drones slightly, recent sets I have seen do not look like the Pakistani sets any longer... but I am guessing here, really.
Wasn't the design KL's in the first place? As I understand it, one of these knock-off shops got a hold of a set of his pipes and just copied the design.
PJ
Pelham

Post by Pelham »

I spoke with Kirk about this maybe 6 years ago. He did change his turnings, and He told me then that was at least one of the reasons he changed his turnings was that they copied them. My KL drones (from 2000) have the new turnings on them.

I have a set of these Pakistani drones that I bought some time ago and had them re-worked by Tim Britton while I was waiting on the set I had ordered from Kirk.

I also have a 3/4 set made by Kirk and as you would guess the Pakistani drones are are copied from, but not identical to the Lynch drones. The Lynch drones have a fuller sound and the craftmanship is impeccable.

The Pakistani ones play reasonably well for what they are, but are quieter and don't sound as rich. While the wood turning is fairly well done, the metalwork on my set was a little sloppy - lots of excess solder and the drone shutoff switch is a little large and a bit flimsy.

You get what you pay for.

Cheers,
Pelham
Joseph E. Smith

PJ wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:I believe Kirk has changed the turnng of his drones slightly, recent sets I have seen do not look like the Pakistani sets any longer... but I am guessing here, really.
Wasn't the design KL's in the first place? As I understand it, one of these knock-off shops got a hold of a set of his pipes and just copied the design.
Yes, it was Kirk's design to begin with, I am not disputing that.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Kirk's a new enough maker that his sets haven't lost their identity through the passing of ages...the owners either purchased them from Kirk (like me) or from someone who knows that they are Lynch pipes. eBay is good for some things, but it's always a big caveat emptor when buying musical instruments. Some very reputable makers sell stuff on ebay (ie: Doug Tipple) but you have to know who's who.
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."