Boxwood Tip

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Boxwood Tip

Post by Uilliam »

To straighten out bent boxwood simply place in vice and gently heat ( an electric paintstripper blower is ideal) gently straighten.Voile.
it is really as simple as that. :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Boxwood Tip

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Hi Uilliam,
a further question: I did a similiar thing to an ABW-chanter and to Lignum-regs (removed keys) that had gone bananas - put them in the metal-lathe; heated them gently with a hair dryer, pushed them straight gently with the turning-facility without the chisel and let them "chill out" again. I was afraid though to do that to boxwood-items because mostly they are slightly varnished and tanned. How is your experiance?
Cheers,
Hans
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Another possible strategy:

I have a boxwood Bb flute made in England where the ambient humidity was probably around 60 percent or higher. Whenever that flute is exposed to low humidity (below 30 percent) for any length of time, it warps out of round so much that the tenons become oval and I can't put the flute together. To get it back to its original shape, all I do is put it into a humidified Tupperware container for a day. I wouldn't be surprised if the same technique would work for a chanter; it's worth trying....although finding a Tupperware container long enough to accommodate a chanter might be challenging!
beckitybek

Re: Boxwood Tip

Post by beckitybek »

Uilliam wrote:To straighten out bent boxwood simply place in vice and gently heat ( an electric paintstripper blower is ideal) gently straighten.Voile.
it is really as simple as that. :wink:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
Thats interesting, Northumbrian pipemaker Colin Ross was telling me the exact same thing on Saturday although he recommended bending it the 'other' way to which its warped and it will come back to centre. (He was talking about putting the piece back in the lathe to do it though).
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Hans..I was shewn it on untreated box so I have no idea about varnished pieces,depends how badly warped it is and how much ye want it back to pristine.ye can always revarnish it if ye want to...
Beckity it must be serendipity methinks :wink:I see no reason why ye shouldnae bend it opposite.
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.