Self-tuning drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Self-tuning drones

Post by rorybbellows »

I ,ve never heard of this before ,but maybe my drones are possessed by the tuning fairy or maybe its perfectly normal ,you tell me !!!!

When tuning my drones ,I always like to tune from flat up to pitch ,so what ever drone I,m tuning I will make it very flat, set it going and then tune it up to the other drone I,m tuning too.

If I have the tenor and middle in tune and then silence the middle drone to tune the bass to the tenor ,when I get to the point where the bass is in tune with the tenor the middle drone comes on all by its self and the same happens if I silence the tenor drone with only the middle drone going again when I bring the bass up to tune with the middle drone the tenor comes on automatically ,so all three are playing in perfect tune . Anyone else have drones that do this ???

RORY
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

It could be caused by sympathetic vibration. It's a frequent occurrence on stringed instruments. Hit the 6th string on a guitar and it'll cause the 1st string to vibrate.

I've a version of this on my bari reg. Sometimes when I play a 2nd octave F# on the chanter, and I hit the F# key on the bari reg, it'll also play in the 2nd octave. If I close the chanter or play a different note, the reg will quickly fall to the first octave.
PJ
marcpipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by marcpipes »

I'm wondering if it has anything to do with your stock. Do you have a hollow stock where all the drone reeds share the same air chamber?
Um....Mom, Dad?......I'm Gaelic.
John S

Post by John S »

This happens with GHB drones as well.
The drones are not independent; they exchange energy through the air by means of sound waves so that when 2 are in tune the 3rd will be pulled (within reason) to that frequency.

PP
phcook

Post by phcook »

when your drones are in tune, you are at the end of bellows' stroke, and air pressure is decreasing, so the drone left is able to start again.
Breizh soner