G tuning

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Droner

G tuning

Post by Droner »

Hi all....seeing as others are asking so am I...I got my chanter reeded by a good reed maker. The tone is nice etc. However the lower octave g is about ten cents flat but the higher is very sharp in comparison to all the other notes (so is the higher Fs sharp also) Is there anything I can do as the reed is good otherwise? The c natural is pretty flat also but I can compensate by raising my right pinky when I play it.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Depends how tightly you wear your string .... :o :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

There is a school of thought that recommends putting a rush (a thin wire) in the reed staple. The idea is to bring both octaves closer together. Your mileage may vary, but it is a non-invasive technique and worth a try.

t
djones

Post by djones »

...I just erased a whole long description of my own suggestions when I realized pat Skye's booklet on reed adjustment is just about the best thing going.

http://www.patricksky.com/Files/reedadjust.pdf

Dave Jones
patrick Jacob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by patrick Jacob »

Who made the chanter ? Some chanter always have this problem :-?
Droner

Post by Droner »

Froment chanter. Threw out the reed and got a good one made by Joe Kennedy a while back.
Douglas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Douglas »

As well as the wire up the reed, you can cut a small square of paper and roll it and slide it into the reed staple. In effect narrowing the inner diameter of the staple. Benedict Kohler showed me this trick a few years ago.