novels about (session) instruments?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Hans-Joerg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

novels about (session) instruments?

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Just got this email from the German IrTrad-Forum. Somebody recommended "Accordion Crimes" by Annie Proulx and was asking after any further novels about instruments. Can you give hints?
Cheers,
Hans
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I really enjoyed a book called "The Bodhran Makers" by John B. Keane. It takes place in rural Ireland in the 1950's. Music certainly plays a role in the book, but I read and enjoyed it long before I was specially interested in Irish music. It's a book that would be enjoyed by anyone, in my opinion.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Myrddin

Post by Myrddin »

Caiseal Mor has published a novel about Turlough O'Carolan: 'Carolan's Concerto'. I haven't read it, but enjoyed several of Mor's other novels, so this one might be a good read as well.
feadogin

Post by feadogin »

I read a novel recently called "The Little Country," which is sort of a fairy tale/ romance kind of novel. It's pretty light reading, but the main character is a female Northumbrian piper. (Yes, that's why I read it). :)

The chapter titles are named after tunes (some Irish), and Becky Taylor gets a mention in it.

Justine
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

I was just thinking of that book when I saw this! A friend loaned it to me in college. The main character seems pretty heavily based on Kathryn Tickell...although she's from Cornwall or something, which seems odd for someone playing Northumbrian pipes & fiddle. I think the author wanted to tie in some old Cornish myth or something like that...I seem to remember that the author included some of his original tunes in the back of the book...Any of them any good?

I also remember hearing once that Brian McNeill (ex-Battlefield Band fiddler) had written a couple of novels in which trad. music figured prominently. Not sure if they're still in print or not...

It may not be (entirely) fiction, but Ciaran Carson's "Last Night's Fun" is still one of the best books out there. Some of his descriptions of trad. musicians (like Seamus Tansey, Joe Cooley, Mick Hoy, Darach O Cathain, etc.) are fascinating to read. Plus he manages to romanticize black pudding in a way that I don't think any other writer possibly could...
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

You can read the first few chapters of Danny Carnahan's novels starring San Francisco Irish fiddler Niall Sweeney, "Death Dances in Jig Time," "Fortune Turns the Wheel," and "With His Dying Breath" online at:

http://www.dannycarnahan.com/writing/novels.html
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

The Little Country by Charles DeLint is pretty okay, but in terms of CdeL it's not his best book. It was funny to run across Becky's name when I read it (she's aware of the mention, btw). Charles DeLint has a lot of trad references in most of his novels.

Another one that's worth reading, is a little less of a light read, has some good tunes / fiddler / music mentioned in it is The Wild Reel by Paul Brandon. Similar genre to The Little Country.

There's a *much* better novel involving a fiddler who lost his wife who moves back to Scotland. Unfortunately I'll have to open some boxes to find the title. It's much better, less fluffy, captures the feeling of performance really well and is thankfully dark.

The Fairy Faith in Celtic Countries (WY Evans-Wentz) has a lot of non-specific (and some specific) references to music in relation to Na Daoine Maith. Meeting the Other Crowd by Eddie Lenihan also has similar stories in a more literary form.

Carolan: The Life Times and Music of an Irish Harper is a good biography with a decent collection of his tunes if you can find it.

I'll try to find the title of the book with the fiddler and think of some others. I'm posting with a headache, so my mind's not 100%.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

CdeL's "Jack Of Kinrowan" and "Forests of the Heart" feature instrumentalists and sessions. There's a female uilleann piper that pops up in his novels and short stories too.

He even has a novel called "The Road to Lisdoonvarna" and a short story anthology called "Waifs and Strays." The cover art for the latter features somebody playing a flute and reveals that the artist doesn't know how flutes work.

I'd be interested in finding out the title of your Scottish fiddler novel, Dionys.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Hardly about isntruments but I suppsose Dermot Bolger's Father's Music and Kater Thompson's The New Policeman would qualify. Peter Woods' writing I nthe Living Note too.
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

I confirm the reference to Charles de Lint. Several of his books have trad. Irish musicians in them. I recall one story that had a young woman named Amy that played uilleann pipes. (Hey, I know an Aimee that plays UP) In the story, I recall her complaining about her reeds too! : )
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

I believe that the book 'the little country' is partly set in Penwith in Cornwall (where I was born/grew up) and it references a session in The Ship Inn in Mousehole (which I used to frequent some time ago)? Which is the same pub that the dish starry gazey pie is served every Tom Bawcocks eve (night before Xmas Eve). There, folkloric stuff..... Starry Gazey Pie, yummmmm

Does the 'Red Violin' count or is that about classical fiddling?
JamieKerr

Post by JamieKerr »

I'll add two books to the list:

The Book of Kells, a fantasy novel by R.A. Macavoy, mentions the piping of Finbar Furey.

Turlough, by Brian Keenan, is a very interesting novel about the last days of Turlough O'Carolan.

Jamie
John S

Post by John S »

I've nearly finished my latest novel "Admiral Nelsons Ukulele".

John S
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

There is a book called(I think), Grace Notes and Bad Thoughts, by John Kelly. Here, some fellow who is something like a refuse collector, makes a deal with the devil to swap bodies with Liam O'Flynn! I kidd you not.
brendan ring

Post by brendan ring »

There is a book called(I think), Grace Notes and Bad Thoughts, by John Kelly. Here, some fellow who is something like a refuse collector, makes a deal with the devil to swap bodies with Liam O'Flynn! I kidd you not.