Egan set in New Zealand

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Those I'd call "Kenna" type keys - nobody else had good enough business going to do all that notching and filing! See the front cover of Drones and Chanters Vol. 1 to see a really slick Kenna set.
Are the regs stamped Egan? Of course someone could have added the notches, ala Mike Carney's dressing up of Patsy Touhey's Taylor set. Did these old guys stamp every stick, too?
I like whoever's it was story about Dinney Delaney's pipes - he sold them to John Wayland, a Kenna set. Ooooh! Wayland then wrote "Coyne"next to his picture in O'Neill's book. Alright, someone set him straight. Except now we consider it to be an Egan set - key shapes, bores, all that foo fer aw. That set's in Bb - Wooff and Angus copy that puppy.
I've written about this one, very interesting story - in Galway they're very fond of the flat keys - Bb, Gmin, and so forth - it seems in the old days the fiddlers wanted to play with Delaney and his Bb set, but instead of tuning down like the rest of the country was doing, they learned to "shift up."
Seanzer, on a PC you've got all your fadas on the keyboard, just hold down ALT and type in the right sequence on the keypad (not on the number keys above the letters). Like this: "I've got a púbic haír stúck in my throát."

á: ALT/0225 Á: ALT/0193
é: ALT/0233 É: ALT/0201
í: ALT/0237 Í: ALT/0205
ó: ALT/0243 Ó: ALT/0211
ú: ALT/0250 Ú: ALT/0218

Now if I could just remember where the consarned things go...
Kévín