Beckitybeck rocks...Dave Williams tribute

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
upiper71

Beckitybeck rocks...Dave Williams tribute

Post by upiper71 »

PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Some nice pipering, not to mention flutering and fiddling. :wink:

Becky's pipes are made by whom?
PJ
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

There's loads more where that came from on Phil Hardy's website:

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=23#

Are these tunes from McGoldrick recordings?

Serious stuff!

Patrick.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

It's really nice to take a break from things (reedmaking, fixing broken doggies and kitties, nose picking...) and kick back with Phil's archives playing on the PC. A great resource for the newer pipers, flute and whistle blowers to watch how some of the big dogs do it... erm... play tunes that is. :D :oops:
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Great. Just great.

Thanks, you made my night. :D
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:There's loads more where that came from on Phil Hardy's website:

http://www.kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=23#

Are these tunes from McGoldrick recordings?

Serious stuff!

Patrick.
Not too sure about if there from McGoldrick's...

When are we going to see more of your clips Patrick? :D
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Not sure what the first two tunes are. The last tune we call Trip to Pakistan in these-here parts.

Becky's chanter looks like boxwood or holly. Make anyone? Reminds me of Rogge in a way, but doesn't sound like it to my ears. Fab ulous off the knee lower octave sound on that chanter. You out there Beckitybeck?

t
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Looks like a Hunter stick to me. Great stuff!
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KAD »

Anyone else having bad luck in getting to this site? :( I keep getting bounced either to an AOL address with nothing on the page (in safari), or (in netscape) back to my own home page.

Help?
KAD
giggleswicksam

what is that chanter

Post by giggleswicksam »

It's an old Hunter chanter in Lignum Vitae.
Andreas Leidenfrost

Post by Andreas Leidenfrost »

that lady piper sounds great, but doesn't it look like she's grippin the chanter a bit tight? Anyone else?

andreas
Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Andreas Leidenfrost wrote:that lady piper sounds great, but doesn't it look like she's grippin the chanter a bit tight? Anyone else?

andreas
I don't think so. If you are used to seeing a fella's big ol' mitts on a chanter, then a woman's gracile digits will look quite different in comparison. This is over-generalizing/genderizing to an extent, but the principle is valid. If Becky is over gripping it certainly doesn't come through in her playing. I think one can hear over gripping. I know I can hear it in my own playing :cry:

I find women pipers really inspiring for some reason. I hope my daughter does too. I wouldn't mind another piper in the kleen clan.

t
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

I think it's the curled index finger on her top hand that gives that impression. Funny, I do that myself and have been working to unbend it which is helping to relax my top hand in the process, but it keeps curling again as soon as I stop paying attention and start to focus on the music. And then I noticed in pictures of Brian McNamara that he bends his top hand index finger too, so maybe it's not such a big deal after all! The other thing Becky does that I'm working on taming a bit myself is to lift her fingers rather far off the chanter...if you compare with Willie Clancy, for example, with his fingers that stayed close you'd say she was doing too much work, but her playing doesn't sound labored so maybe it's not an issue. But she's a very open-style "flutey" piper; if she was playing more staccato I think you'd see the fingers stay closer.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

KAD wrote:Anyone else having bad luck in getting to this site? :( I keep getting bounced either to an AOL address with nothing on the page (in safari), or (in netscape) back to my own home page.

Help?
KAD
That's cause you're on a Mac and you must not have Windows Media Player installed. You can download it from the Microsoft site in their Mactopia section:

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/otherprodu ... ndowsmedia

You should download it soon because Microsoft has announced that they will stop supporting Windows Media Player for the Mac.
Andreas Leidenfrost

Post by Andreas Leidenfrost »

I think any and all good young pipers inspire me, as I'm one myself.
I hate the piping doldrums :(
Bíonn dhá insint ar scéal agus dhá leagan déag ar amhrán