Beckitybeck rocks...Dave Williams tribute

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KAD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KAD »

Thanks Brad. Does anybody know the name of these tunes Becky's playing with the flute player in the pub?

KAD
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

KAD wrote:Thanks Brad. Does anybody know the name of these tunes Becky's playing with the flute player in the pub?

KAD
I am thinking the last one is "A Trip to Pakistan". Of course it probably has several other, seemingly unrelated, names.

t
fel bautista
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

KAD wrote:Anyone else having bad luck in getting to this site? :( I keep getting bounced either to an AOL address with nothing on the page (in safari), or (in netscape) back to my own home page.

Help?
KAD
Nothing wrong on this end with my MAC; easily seen on a UNIX machinerunning 10.4.x and a broadband connection.
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

The last tune is definitely "Trip To Pakistan," which was composed by Edinburgh flute-player, Niall Kenny.

Apart from the excellent playing, it was also entertaining to watch the background activity. Folks sharing fags, a fiddler handing his fiddle off to a piper to play a tune...
beckitybek

Post by beckitybek »

Hi guys...been off board for a while with flu :(

Back now, and interesting to read your comments. Glad you enjoyed the playing, but before you all get too far down the analysis route I'd just like to remind everyone that the occasion for the event was the Dave Williams Tribute weekend, held at the end of October last year in Slough.

Everyone that was there was there to pay tribute to a great pipemaker - Dave Williams, but also a great man, one who loved going for a few pints and playing a few tunes with his mates, and that is exactly what we did in his honour....had a few pints and played a few tunes...

That particular clip was taken around 9pm on the Sunday evening, just before the evening concert, and after many hours of said drinking and playing that afternoon, and also the night (and morning!) before, we were having fun and he would have liked it that way.

The tunes are some of my favourite piping tunes for a concert chanter. The first two were written by piper David Lim (fantastic tunes) the 1st is 'Edinburgh Rock' in F#m, the 2nd 'The Bunny's Hat' and the last tune in the set is indeed 'Trip to Pakistan by Niall Kenny. Tunes David and myself used to play together many years ago in the now dufunct 'Reed Riot' duelling pipes led band!

Can't do anything about my index finger curling round, it just does it...seemingly despite any attempts to straighten it, but it doesn't cause me any particular problems. That chanter is my old Hunter wide-bore in Lignum Vitae. Its got an amazing tone and bottom end off the knee quality which I can't live without, but which comes with a price...very hard and loud reeds. Some people think that has hampered my playing over the years, in a way it has dictated my style when it comes to concert chanter playing, and left arm muscles (!) but concert chanter and flat chanter playing are two different beasts and my style changes depending on the pipes i'm playing. I can tend to overgrip the chanter especially when the reed is hard and loud and I've been playing for hours on end, but its not usually a problem!

Oh, and 'that flute player' is Mike McGoldrick!!
You guys! :D
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Thanks for sharing such a great event Beckyitybeck.

We love it! :D

upiper71
KAD

Post by KAD »

Thanks for the tune names, Becky. You've given me a new set to work on! And please pardon my almost total ignorance about flute players...
:oops:

Cheers
KAD