piping school

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Birl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

piping school

Post by Birl »

hello !
I searched a thread on this subject, and I did not find really what I want.

Do you know any piping school in Ireland, where it is possible to learn the "art of piping" ? I would rather like a school, in order to lear the technics and so on, than a piper's club.

Cheers !
Birl
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Birl there are a host of Summer schools in Ireland ye can go to Willie Clancy 1st week in July followed by the Achill School in Sligo for starters.. give na Piobaire a call to get a list
http://www.pipers.ie/en/default.lasso
or ye can go to the Pipers Club in Paris they will be a great help to ye I am sure.
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

The Achill Summer school is in Achill in Co. Mayo. I used to teach harp it. It wouldn't be ideal for what you're looking for.

I'd go with the Willie week for definite. There'd be multiple classes for pipers on various learning curves. Following this, there's Drumshambo in Co. Leitrim and Tubbercurry in Co. Sligo, then Keadue in Roscommon.

Scoil Eigse is on the week before the All Ireland Fleadh (Letterkenny this year) at the end of August, although these classes tend to be for people of a fairly good standard, who may be competing at the weekend. It's a good week but there are too many distractions, ie. beer.

July is definitely the best time if you've a few weeks.

Good luck
Big Time
Birl

Post by Birl »

thank you !
and what about the permanent school, something like college of piping for GHB ? I would like to be in Ireland one year long after my studies. The school location will help to choose a place to go :wink:
May the "Nyyaaa" be with you !
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Birl wrote:thank you !
and what about the permanent school, something like college of piping for GHB ? I would like to be in Ireland one year long after my studies. The school location will help to choose a place to go :wink:
Birl,

The NPU in Dublin organises weekly classes. I sure you would have no problem getting private lessons if you wanted more than one class per week. There's a page on the NPU website which mentions piping classes at St. Paul's Primary School, Brunswick Street, Dublin.
PJ
Birl

Post by Birl »

Dublin ? ok, here I go :D
thank you all
Birl
May the "Nyyaaa" be with you !
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

You might be more interested in the degree course at the University of Limerick Birl.

http://www.ul.ie/admissions/newprospect ... M030.shtml

It's not so much jsut about the pipes although fantastic pipers live close by and teach this course.

Patrick.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

Big Time wrote:The Achill Summer school is in Achill in Co. Mayo. I used to teach harp it. It wouldn't be ideal for what you're looking for.

Good luck
Thanks for the correction Achill Island is of course in Mayo and I was thinking of Tubercurry in Sligo..but hold on a wee mo...why do ye diss the Achill School.??Cieran O'Maille and other teachers of distinction on the pipes hold classes there and have done so for many a year now.I have only heard favourable reports about the school.The smaller classes etc etc the friendly atmosphere the less manic feel to the place that Willie Week has..so unless I hear otherwise I would certainly reccomend Achill as a place to develope your piping... :boggle:
Slán Go Foill
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

Wasn't dissing the school at all Uilleam, I love it there and taught at it for 3 years. The piping teachers were always top class but there is only ever one piping teacher, unlike the Willie Week, etc.

It also seems that Birl was looking for something more intensive than a one-week course.
Big Time
totokots
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by totokots »

Not true, Big Time. For the past 10 years there has always been at least 2 piping teachers at Scoil Acla (last year the teachers were Robbie Hannan and Tommy Keane).

The number of teachers is dependent on the number of students who enroll: over the past few of years there have been approx. 10-12 piping students.

In previous years, where there have been 20+ piping students, the piping school has used 3-4 teachers.
Careful men, he wets his plants . . .

http://www.ceolpipes.com
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

Woops, i stand corrected :oops:

i always found myself hanging out with the flute teachers and having sessions with paddy ryan, john mchugh (foxford) and pj hernon. The pipes lessons were in a different venue, so .....

anyway, it's a great festival, very well organised by John McNamara and John McHugh (Achill), and i wish i'd the time off in july to teach at it every year.

sorry this went a bit off topic, ......
Big Time