cutting keyways

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

I watched Malcolm McLaren make a chanter the other day. He just centred the chanter between stocks on the metal lathe and attached an ordinary power drill to the cutter dial thingy (the drill had a make-shift brace attached to it so it could be held in the 'cutter dial thingy'). Turned drill on low and locked it to on - Done - nice.

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I was watching a recently acquired DVD of Eugene Lambe making pipes. Says I to myself I says: "Frickin Cool, man... frickin' bloody cool".
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Wassat DVD you speakin' of there Joseph? Mr Lambe made my drones. Would be interesting to see him at work.

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I am currently in the process of reeding a Lambe concert pitched chanter myself. I suggest you contact Mr. Chris Bayley for the DVD in question. It doesn't go into any great detail re: pipe making, but there are a few nice scenes depicting the "process" provided, in addition to a couple of nice visual samples of Dan O'Dowd, himself, pipering. :thumbsup:
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

Is there any advantage to choosing a 2 fluted bit verses 4 flutes?
Probably you'd never notice the difference between them...but I'd go with the 2 fl. anyway, if only for the better swarf clearing ability. I've had 2 flutes run forever profiling 2" thick aluminum plate...4 flutes would snap in moments due to poor chip evacuation. As Bill & Kevin suggested, it might be prudent to cut it to depth in a series of roughing passes. Since the lathe bed has flat ways, I wonder if a couple of small "v" tipped machinist jacks would fit under your workpiece & help dampen any chatter???

(or equivalent)
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAK ... TPG=INLMK3
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

The boxwood (buxus sempervirens) chanter in the picture is a few months old, and has been oiled with linseed oil. The lathe is a Myford super 7, and the quick change fordom handpiece holder is made from a bored out 1" coupling nut with a piece of 1/2 inch square stock welded to the side. I've used the razor saw and chisel method, the Copeland non-rotating blade method, and have cut slots on the milling machine, but this quick change setup is the fastest and most elegant I've tried.
CJ DIXON

Post by CJ DIXON »

I use the same setup as Uillmann does for cutting keyways and drilling toneholes with my high speed rotary tool mounted using a jig I made and attached to the toolpost. This is very nice as it is quick, easy and guarantees perfect alignment.

Cheers,
CJ
CJ Dixon Celtic Instruments
www.cjdixon.com
Kevin Popejoy

Post by Kevin Popejoy »

This thread is a bit stale but I found some pics of my setup, such as it is. Not much to it really but the results are excellent. I'll let the photos do the rest. Just click on the thumbnail if you want to see a larger image.

Basic set up for cutting keyway:

Closeup of cutter in position:

Plunge router slides on metal rails:

Rotated perpendicular for cutting key seat:

Hope that's helpful.

Kevin
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I have found some piceleens too: the old hacksaw, chisel and mallet hammer approach Image

Works fine.

Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Geoff Wooff makes excellent pipes. Probably my favorite. If he can do it that way, it must be good.