Aesthetics of a set

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Strad used a secret concoction of resins and what not designed speciffically for his fiddles. He took that recipe to the grave with him.
Yes, I believe it was a concoction of organic shellac, crushed gems and afterbirth.... I've been having these dreams....

I think you are missing Glands's point here folks. Take a deep breath and learn a new tune..... now isn't that better? :party:

Happy New Year!

Patrick.
wgority
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Relax...it was a jest.....you know.........humour..........

Post by wgority »

gregorygraham wrote:Wgority, what's with the gratuitous Canada bashing? "That's my 2 cents worth (or $3.58 Canadian)"

I get really upset here in Canada when Canadians gratuitously bash Americans, which is rapidly displacing hockey as the national pastime, but it is no better the other way round. Forgive me if I am overly sensitive.
Gregory, you failed to note my next parenthetical remark and call me age-ist as well. For the record, 1960 is the year of my birth. If you look at any of my previous posts, or even read further into this post you'd notice that the first person I criticise at any time is myself. I am, in fact, harder on myself than anyone else could be!

I love Canada and have many good friends there--including pipers (GHB, uillean and otherwise) who are greatly influential in my ongoing pursuit of the perfect drone. No offence was meant, and if it was taken I apologise. However, try not to be so hypersensitive............sheesh..........
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Look you two, if you can't say anything nice to each other, then make it really deep and cutting.

Nobody's bashing anyone, and let's not start.

Thanks

JES
Gabriel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Gabriel »

brianc wrote:[...]
To me, a nice patina adds character. And besides, things like UPs that are built to work correctly shouldn't be taken apart and polished and the like... it's too much risk in something not going back together correctly, and then where are you?
I second that totally.

My new set's going to be made of ebony, box and brass, and I can't wait until the brass gets this beautiful patina. Makes the overall looking of the instrument kind of "warm". Or full of character, of course.

By the way, anybody knows what's the matter with Chris Bayley? Waiting for several days for an ansower from him now, but nothing comes. Ok, might be christmays/new year ('s eve) days, and I don't want to bug him, but I'm curious.
wgority

Post by wgority »

You're right Joe. You (and everyone else)have my sincere apologies.

Bill
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Look you two, if you can't say anything nice to each other, then make it really deep and cutting.

Nobody's bashing anyone, and let's not start.

Thanks

JES
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
CrackPiper

Post by CrackPiper »

Well I have a set of pipes that can be described as plain (or even less favorably...marshmallow imagery is usually invoked)...let just say she's got a great personality and I do find myself drooling over some really flash sets (like that Woof set), but I've been without her for seven weeks now (she's comming back from Canada any day now, but with regs) and as I've posted I'm going crazy and I miss my set bad. So to paraphrase for all of you with K&Q envy...if you can't be with the set you'd love, love the set you're with.
glands

Post by glands »

looking of the instrument kind of "warm". Or full of

You are very observant. Polished brass is a "cool" color, a greenish gold of sorts. I think it kills warm local colors reflected by it. Patina on brass is yellow and orange and some greens that collectively, from an artists perspective, are "warm" hues of each. There is also less reflection of local color and the pipe looks as if made of more substance.

My sweat does interesting and desirable things to the patina on regulator keys. A friend once suggested that I bottle it and sell it. Any of you guys wanna "polish" your Uilleann Pipes (had to be explicitly careful there) with my sweat?
brianc

Post by brianc »

glands wrote:Any of you guys wanna "polish" your Uilleann Pipes (had to be explicitly careful there) with my sweat?
Elvis? Is that you?

:D
Davey

dare I say it?

Post by Davey »

Well, apparently I need to exercise my carpal tunnel ridden hands..so here's my 2 cents worth.

I think the "antiques roadshow" is an excellent analogy. This "acquired" patina they speak of doesn't come from years of neglect and abuse...watching said item disintegrate before one's eyes! They are cared for and simply show the wear of time. Entropy is inescapeable (or so I seem to be learning first hand...) Ok sorry. Personal taste? Yes. Practicality? Yes. These are factors fo course. Brass is nearly impossible to keep* well shined (depending on climate). Nickel is far easier to care for and keep shiney.

I tend to agree with Peter's point that this is a complex, expensive instrument we all rely on. D'arcy has it right...we're all obsessed to one degree or another and it is plain foolishness to ignore properly maintaining one's pride and joy..ok...too far..one's OBSESSION.

David Wilcox (folk singer, currently residing in N.Carolina) has an excellent song about his guitar. He tells how he NEEDED a busted up, rugged looking guitar that looked like it had seen it's share of adventure...because "...one of us had to look like we knew what we were doing..." As he ages and matures, he describes how the roles change...and he no longer needs the crutch that a "guitar with character" afforded him.

Play yer pipes. Care for them so you can keep playing them. Give it time and both of you will develope a lovely patina. (except fer you D'Arcy...you just keep looking green and moldy)

(ouch...ice and ibuprofen anybody for this poor sod)
glands

Post by glands »

(except fer you D'Arcy...you just keep looking green and moldy)
And....The Holy Order has acquired an interesting patina composed of a few wine stains as well as crumbs of some sort of wafer, too!
brianc

Post by brianc »

glands wrote:
And....The Holy Order has acquired an interesting patina composed of a few wine stains as well as crumbs of some sort of wafer, too!
Probably Oreos.

:wink:
Joseph E. Smith

brianc wrote:
glands wrote:
Probably Oreos.

:wink:
... oooooo, where there's Oreo crumbs, there's milk stains too. :D
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

djm wrote:Any violin repair technician will tell you that the varnishes used on violins are designed to come off easily for re-application. Violins are frequently revarnished.Not only does it preserve the instrument, but there are many who argue that it has a significant effect on the sound of the violin to have a well-applied and maintained varnish coat.
Yeah? I've been one of those violin technicians and what you're saying is just plain nutty, simply put! What you're probably thinking of is the glue used to hold the violin top to the ribs. It's a glue weaker than wood so the instrument can be taken apart without splitting the wood.
djm wrote:As Joseph notes, keeping the rosin dust cleaned off also helps preserve the varnish coat.
That's a whole different matter. The build of rosin on the violin top would be a little bit like wiping some super glue over one side of your reed. Now put some super glue on your lips, both lips, and typing fingers too! :lol:
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Violins hopefully use glue that allow it to be worked on in the future. The deal with varnish is that they are still trying to figure out what makes a Strad sound like a Strad and the varnish emerges as a candidate. They have looked at Strads under ultraviolet light to see if the original varnish is still there - they can tell if it has been re-varnished.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1129/p17s1-stgn.html

http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/13/4/8
Joseph E. Smith

Jim McGuire wrote:Violins hopefully use glue that allow it to be worked on in the future. The deal with varnish is that they are still trying to figure out what makes a Strad sound like a Strad and the varnish emerges as a candidate. They have looked at Strads under ultraviolet light to see if the original varnish is still there - they can tell if it has been re-varnished.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2001/1129/p17s1-stgn.html

http://physicsweb.org/articles/world/13/4/8
This was the reason for my earlier post about it. They are still trying to figure out his recipe, to the best of my knowledge.