Best version about Colonel Fraser

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Best version about Colonel Fraser

Post by uilleannfinlander »

Just listened L.Barry's(Mind the Pipes) version of it , ..nice variations , huge "drive"
trough the tune.
What's your favorit version about Col.Fraser?
Cheers,
M
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Jerry O'Sullivan does a very fast version on the Invasion. He starts with just the chanter and really attacks the tune. He adds drones the second time round and regulators the third time. It's got great drive.
PJ
Uilleo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Uilleo »

Ditto on JS's version, sounds like a couple of guys playin' at the end.

Breakneck speed. Mind blowin' stuff. :o
Make a Joyful Noise
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

John McSherry's version is fun.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

The version that Jarlath Henderson played at the BBC Young Folk Awards is a fun one.

Removed the link I put up after checking it. Seems they changed the sound clip to something else. Oh well.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

David Power does a pretty mean rendition himself. Very well timed and attentive playing. It would have been included as a video clip, but the lighting was horrible at the pub - so it's audio only. From our summer tionól last June:

http://www.uilleann.org/Sound-Files/Session1.wma

from the page:

http://www.uilleann.org/Events-Tionol-2 ... ncert.html
brianc

Post by brianc »

Pat Broaders does this tune. He recorded it on a CD called "Moore & Broaders" back in the early '90s... it became a source of great inspiration for me. (And it remains so to this day).
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Versions you might also want to check out are Johnny Doran's, Seamus Ennis's, Liam O'Flynn's, Paddy Keenan's, Eoin O'Riabhaigh's & Patsy Touhey's.

YES!

Patrick.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Versions you might also want to check out are Johnny Doran's, Seamus Ennis's, Liam O'Flynn's, Paddy Keenan's, Eoin O'Riabhaigh's & Patsy Touhey's.

YES!

Patrick.
And Brian McNamara's version - probably my second favourite version after Jerry O'Sullivan.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

PJ wrote:
Patrick D'Arcy wrote:Versions you might also want to check out are Johnny Doran's, Seamus Ennis's, Liam O'Flynn's, Paddy Keenan's, Eoin O'Riabhaigh's & Patsy Touhey's.

YES!

Patrick.
And Brian McNamara's version - probably my second favourite version after Jerry O'Sullivan.
Agreed, and they couldn't be more different from each other. Personally, I prefer the lyrical over the blazingly fast and crisp.
MikeyLikesIt

Post by MikeyLikesIt »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
PJ wrote:

YES!

Patrick.
Agreed, and they couldn't be more different from each other. Personally, I prefer the lyrical over the blazingly fast and crisp.

Indeed. It's such a fun tune, it should be really lyrical.
chanterdan

Post by chanterdan »

i like ben walkers reel,played on his new galloway chanter,clips n snips!the first time i heard this tune it was played by jerry osullivan,and it blew me away!!this summer i was at a paddy keenan show,and he ask if anybody had a request ,i yelled, colonial fraser! he just laughed,and said not tonight, geeze, tuff bunch. he did say that it was a great pipe tune,one of the best.
John O'Gara

Post by John O'Gara »

Brianc wrote:
Pat Broaders does this tune. He recorded it on a CD called "Moore & Broaders" back in the early '90s... it became a source of great inspiration for me. (And it remains so to this day).
I agree, his version of Colonel Fraser is great. I also really enjoy "When Sick Is it Tea You Want" on the same CD. I listen to both of those tracks quite often on the way into work...still trying to play both tunes well (sigh)
brianc

Post by brianc »

John O'Gara wrote:Brianc wrote:
I agree, his version of Colonel Fraser is great. I also really enjoy "When Sick Is it Tea You Want" on the same CD. I listen to both of those tracks quite often on the way into work...still trying to play both tunes well (sigh)
Yes, good point there, John. Pat's treatment of "When Sick..." is equally impressive. And like you, I'm still trying to get them down. *sigh*
chrisgrainge

Post by chrisgrainge »

Here's Jarlath Hendersons version, recorded live about a minute after he'd been told he'd won the Young Folk Musician title.... if I've got one comment, its just because he can play it this fast doesn't mean he should!

http://www.lebascourget.co.uk/piping/colonel-fraser.mp3

there are a couple of 'beeps' on it that I can't explain... I think they might be timing signals from the BBC????

Chris