Makers in my area

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
taupe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Makers in my area

Post by taupe »

Hi All

Looking at getting myself a half set on order as a Christmas pressy to replace my practice set as the chanter so out of of tune in the second register it is not worth upgrading - some notes are sharp and others flat so it is beyond simple reed placement. Have been struggling with the thing for almost a year now and did not realise just how bad it was until I tried a Brian Howard set - wow - playing suddenly became a pleasure and switching between octaves a breeze instead of a fight

My nearest makers from the NPU website appear to be either Hubert Kwisthout in Lincoln or Stephen McCordick in Derby - would like a Brian Howard set but cannot afford it - any opinions

Cheers

John
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

Andy Faden is in Oxford and Marcus Coulter is in Birmingham, if that's any help.

David
billh

Post by billh »

Met Andy the other night, nice guy. He's working some with Cillian, not sure where he's physically based these days. On that basis he's certainly worth checking out if he's periodically in your region. As with any maker, you really should try before you buy if at all possible.

BTW, reed problems can sometimes cause a mixture of flat and sharp notes in the second octave; that said, it does sound as though you're being "held back" by your current chanter. While there are probably bargains around, I wouldn't count on finding one; save your pennies for the best you can get (and for travel to a regional piping event where you can hear and hopefully try stuff).

Best regards

Bill
maw

Post by maw »

Andy's based in Bedford. He's making me a chanter at present, should be ready by the end of January. He's a nice guy and will always let you visit. If you want his contact details, pm me and I'll send them to you. Also watch out on NPU website as he will soon be adding his details there.
:party:
The Mechanoids will obey the DALEKS... or be exterminated!!!
David Lim

Post by David Lim »

maw wrote:Andy's based in Bedford.
Apologies, I did know that, I've even been down to visit him. :oops:

David
morten
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by morten »

And there is Chris Bayley in Redhill, maker of very fine pipes indeed. I had a go at his own (at the time) D-set not too long ago. Chanter was easier to manage than my own Williams stick - sweet and very easy to play.

/Morten
Mike Hulme
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

All of Chris Bayley's Chanters are very easy to play; I have four of them, and they all play at a light pressure. His drones are excellent!

Mike
taupe

Post by taupe »

Thanks for the help

Am trying to visit a few of them over Christmas period and will let you know how I get on

Hope you all have a good Christmas and festive New Year

John