Tommy Martin

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
smithand
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tommy Martin

Post by smithand »

I saw Tommy Martin play with Teada on Tuesday, along with Graine Hambly the harpist and Cathy Ryan the singer. He played three solo pieces - can't remember what the first was (though it was good), but he played a very slow, spinechilling version of the Wild Geese and a great version of Colonel Fras(i)er, as well as playing along with the group at times. Teada were terrific too, great energy and enthusiasm and very polished, in the best sense of that term.

When I told him that I was learning on a Daye set, he told me that he is using a Penny Chanter as a backup instrument on the tour, and actually played it in a concert in Arizona because of the low humidity. He thinks that they're good instruments. Great piper and a nice fella.

Andrew
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

He is a great fella althogether. Brilliant piper.

One of his many hidden talents is his skill with farm implements. But that would not have come out just by seeing one of his shows. :wink:

t
smithand

Post by smithand »

tommykleen wrote:He is a great fella althogether. Brilliant piper.

One of his many hidden talents is his skill with farm implements. But that would not have come out just by seeing one of his shows. :wink:

t
A tractor came on stage at the same time as the step dancers but, no, it wssn't a major part of the evening.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

smithand wrote:
tommykleen wrote:He is a great fella althogether. Brilliant piper.

t
A tractor came on stage at the same time as the step dancers but, no, it wssn't a major part of the evening.
Was it a John Deere tractor? Nothing runs like a Deere.:D

Davey

JOHN DEERE!

Post by Davey »

..breaking news... re: Tommy Martin...

http://www.greenwoodpipes.com/johndeer.html
djm

Post by djm »

Davey, that link refers to TM's newest CD release. I have only seen the one, and that has been out a few years. Is there a second CD out? Who is carrying it?

Thx,

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.