If you were starting now...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jack Macleod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

If you were starting now...

Post by Jack Macleod »

If you were starting new from scratch--knowing what you know now--what would you do differently to help your piping?

Would you have played whistle until your 1/4 set came?

Perhaps bought a "budget model" 1/4 set (like what Pipeworks of Boston is putting out) to get your pipes sooner, rather than saving and waiting a year or two to get your pipes (assuming you did). Or not tying up $500 to $1000 in deposit money for an instrument you don't know how to play yet.

I have a guy in his 20s who is interested in learning but wanted to know what he should do while he waits a year for his pipes. It's been so long since I started I told him I'm really not sure what his best options are other than listen to piping CDs as much as possible and getting a little whistle under his belt.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Dude! My practice set is already ordered. Don't say things like that! :lol: :lol:

Dang! There was a funny response here between mine and the first post. Now I look like a fool!! :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
BigDavy

Starting from scratch

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Jack

I was lucky, I got my practice set within a week so the wait was minimal.

In answer to your question though, if the budget set was playable and from what little I have read on the board the UP works of Boston sets are, then I would say get the budget set, learn to play and save up for a flat set would be the way to go.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
djm

Post by djm »

If the person in question has no background in music or ITM, whistle is a great place to start. If that doesn't pan out, at least it was only a $10 whistle (I won't even begin to address Whistle Acquisition Obsession Disorder). If this person is already into playing ITM, a whistle still wouldn't hurt.

If cost is a factor, getting a practise set is the only way to go, but if they have the dosh and the patience, many people still insist on running out and getting a half-set to start. There are pros and cons to each approach, as previously discussed here ad nauseum. See the FAQ thread for more good ideas about starting up.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Learning Piper
Location: Out of my mind for a minute. Please leave a message and I will call you back as soon as possible.

Post by Learning Piper »

I second the whistle comment. If you can get the basics of tune playing, inserting ornamentation, keeping up with other players, etc. with the whistle, what you have learned will transfer in some way or another.
S. K. Cull
S. K. Cull

Dyslexics of the world; UNTIE!!... Or is it unite?... Nuite?..... AHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

Cynth:

Who is the maker of your P.Set?
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I do beleive that in my case (which may be or may not be the same as his) playing whistle helped me with the fingering, but it has been trying working with the chanter having my left hand up top and the right on the bottom.

With this in mind he should understand (no way am are my intentions to discourage)that the chanter is a different beast entirely...very humbling are the UPs in general.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

KD, Tim Britton is making my practice set. He lives about two hours away from me, so it worked out perfectly. And I will be able to take lessons from him as well.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

Just a quick congratulations. I personally love Tim's pipes and you'll find he's a great piper. I can't speak for his teaching skills regarding playing, though.

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Thank you! It was quite a shock when I found that pipemaker/piper with a good reputation lived reasonably close to me. I feel very lucky. I believe someone commented that they had a very good experience in a workshop he was involved with. And he was certainly very nice on the phone. I am both excited and nervous. They should be done sometime in the spring.
djm

Post by djm »

Okay, Cynth, now that you've been perverted ... er ... converted, its time we start putting the pressure on Lambchop to come over to the dark side. Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :twisted:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, I think she is doing really well on the flute. She sounds like she's gotten over some major hurdles and is feeling good about her progress. Ummm, I'm not sure I would like to be the one to pressure Lamby into doing anything! :lol:
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

I'd say get a whistle and go through the tutors (Clarke etc) and learn the tunes. Then you can wean yourself off the notes and start playing by ear. Learning tunes will really help so that when it comes time to wrestle the beast, you can at least concentarte on the other 30 other things you have to do with the pipes.

When you get a set you'll really be ready to tackle the tutors.

Also, try and play the whistle with piper fingering. It will at least get you ready for the proper finger technique. There is plenty to read on this forum about proper fingering etc.

Or find a nice practice set someone is selling.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fel bautista »

Save money, meet Pat D'Arcy and get on Koheler and Quinn's list early on!! that's what I do different
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

What Fel said... but add 'Move to So. Cal.'. :D