CD rehash...

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jack Macleod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

CD rehash...

Post by Jack Macleod »

I've picked up quite a few new trad CDs over the past few years. Not all uilleann pipes focused of course but mostly in that vein.
I find myself gravitating back to only a few for repeated listenings that don't get old.

One is Fisher Street and the other is Tommy Martin's CD. Obviously different types of Irish music. Tommy's last track of Splendid Isolation/Copperplates is just damn near perfect in my humble estimation.

Any CDs you've picked up lately that never seem to get to many rotations?
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Paddy Keenan's first solo album
Brian McNamara Piper's Dream

...to name just two...'cause there are many other...
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Kitty Lie Over
The Fort of Jewels
The Masters Touch Vol. 2
djm

Post by djm »

I have pulled out all the best trad tracks from all the Planxty albums to my own personal collection. The one track I keep returning to is from the "Cold Blow" album, where Liam plays Old Torn Petticoat/Dublin Reel/Wind That Shakes the Barley. I don't know why, but The Dublin Reel always seems to me to explode into being. I play that one track over and over.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

djm wrote:I have pulled out all the best trad tracks from all the Planxty albums to my own personal collection. The one track I keep returning to is from the "Cold Blow" album, where Liam plays Old Torn Petticoat/Dublin Reel/Wind That Shakes the Barley. I don't know why, but The Dublin Reel always seems to me to explode into being. I play that one track over and over.

djm
That's a great set. I tend to listen to it over and over as well.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Tommy's last track of Splendid Isolation/Copperplates is just damn near perfect in my humble estimation.
Jack, that is very kind of you to say those nice words regarding my CD. But, I have to say that 'Out in the Night' by Fisher Street is a clasic recording and big style on my re-listen list. As is, The Wandering Minstrel by the good Mr. Ennis. But, 2 CD's that don't leave the shelf are 'The Drones and the Chanters' Vol. 1 and 'The Classics of Irish Piping'
Leo Rowsome is the King!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tommy
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

This will change periodically but recently The South West Wind (Ronan Brown) and The Lost Liberty Tapes (Paul Brady) are the two that seems to end up in the CD player most often.

Thanks for the tips, will dig out the Fisher Street CD and have a listen as it has been a while since I played it.

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

Michael O Raghallaigh's The Nervous Man is my favourite still. It's incredible the music, ornementation and drive he gets from the concertina. Love it. Rumour has it he may be making another CD at some stage. Would be great if he did.
Big Time
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I've just started listening but I've gotten quite a number of CD's by the players recommended throughout these pages and have listened to them all at least couple times now :lol: and I plan to just keep listening to everyone. The one I can't seem to move on from though is Leo Rickard's Pure Piping. I seem to enjoy everyone, but this CD makes me wanna shout.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith

I think that (Leo's) will be my next piping CD... gotta save some moolah. :D
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I might consider sending you one if:
1. You tell me who your avatar is.
and
2. Change it.
:lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Joseph E. Smith

Cynth wrote:I might consider sending you one if:
1. You tell me who your avatar is.
and
2. Change it.
:lol:
My avatar is the man himself... Napoleon Dynamite (John Heder), just wait a day or two, it'll change... I'm easily bored. :D
Joseph E. Smith

Whoa! Look at that!! My avatar's gone and changed already!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

He has? Oh, there's his name. Well, now that I know who he is I feel better because there is no way he can be the person I kept thinking he might be even though he does still remind me of him. It's okay. Nothing to figure out. Don't worry. Be happy. :lol:
Joseph E. Smith

Cynth wrote:He has? Oh, there's his name. Well, now that I know who he is I feel better because there is no way he can be the person I kept thinking he might be even though he does still remind me of him. It's okay. Nothing to figure out. Don't worry. Be happy. :lol:
So.... who did you think that he was? Curiosity has got me buzzing. :D