Who Do You Consider the Your Favorite Piper and Why?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
KDMARTINKY
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Who Do You Consider the Your Favorite Piper and Why?

Post by KDMARTINKY »

I have been building my collection CD's featuring UPs piping and listened to a lot of them lastnight. It was very difficult to single out of the ones I was listening to, who I would be tempted to say was the best....they all sounded great to me. But I do know that I love the "40 years of Irish piping" by Seamus Ennis and I tend to listen to him more often than the rest.

Question: Who do you consider to be the your favorite piper of all time and why?

Thanks
Last edited by KDMARTINKY on Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
BigDavy

Greatest Piper?

Post by BigDavy »

Hi KDMARTINKY

You have set a question that is impossible to answer. How do you adequately define greatest relating to piping.

If you said who is your favourite piper then I can answer it - Fred Morrison, because he plays like a demon on GHB border pipes UPs and whistle.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
texasbagpiper

Post by texasbagpiper »

I second that.... Fred Morrison :D
KAD

Post by KAD »

Hard to choose just one, I'd say.

Mick O'Brien. He makes that swing sound so natural and easy. (Then you sit down and try it yourself and -- whoops! not so easy! How does he do it?)

Brian McNamara. Amazing level of detail.

Benedict Koehler, who doesn't have a CD, :cry: but who IMHO has no equal for pure musicianship, color, and tone.

Of the older fellows I favor Willie Clancy, again for swing.

KAD
djm

Post by djm »

KDM, please stop and consider before posting questions like this. Who can say they've listened to every piper? Who can say they are qualified to give an opinion? How many times has this question been asked on this forum before, and what were the responses then?

And more importantly - why are you asking this question in the first place? Are you asking who you should be listening to in order to learn from? Listen to them all! You will find that everyone has their own personal style, their own personal take on each tune, their own capabilities. Even if you don't care for some particular piper's style, they probably have something important to teach you.

Don't limit yourself at such an early point in your learning. You're not going to sound like any of the great pipers in the first two months of your development, or the first two years, as far as that goes. Take it all in. Let's see what comes out 21 years from now. :wink:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Are you asking us to name the most favorite (ie the one who most people like the most) piper of all time? Isn't that the same as asking who the most popular piper of all time is? And if that's what you are indeed asking, it is still an impossible question. (And, frankly, kind of pointless. Just because a lot of people like him doesn't make him the best. Look at some politicians)

If on the other hand you are actually trying to ask who our personal favorite is, then that is answerable.
Jan Erik

Post by Jan Erik »

My "fave" is William Fung.

Why? --- He Bangs!
Last edited by Jan Erik on Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm

Post by djm »

Jan Erik wrote:My "fave" is William Fung.
Never heard of him, so he can't be any good. :wink: (see what I mean?)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

My, my! I couldn't begin to name my favorite piper - I admire a lot of them for various reasons. To name "The" favorite piper seems to imply that there is some kind of universal consensus of opinion and when did that ever happen among pipers?
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The Pipers du jour for me currently are:

Brian MacNamara,
Mick O'Brien
Ronan Browne
Willie Clancy
Johnny Doran
Tommy Reck
David Power and Tommy Martin.

This isn't necessarily the order in which they are favored. My 'fave' list keeps growing and changing. To date, no pipers have fallen out of faith with my tastes... truth be known, I don't think that could ever happen. :D
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

My favourite piper is me, of course. But who do I draw most inspiration from? None other than Willie Clancy.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

ausdag wrote:My favourite piper is me, of course. But who do I draw most inspiration from? None other than Willie Clancy.

Cheers,

DavidG

Well, that's what I really wanted to write about myself. Good day, bad day, I'd rather be playing than listening if the truth be told.

For the record though, I'm also inspired by McNamara, O'Brien, Ronan Browne, Liam O'Flynn and Jerry O'Sullivan. And I'd like to be more inspired by Jimmy O'Brien-Moran if he'd ever do another recording. For inexplicable reasons, Paddy Keenan has fallen off my list. I find that mildly surprising. No more self-examination and introspection for me.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

djm:
why are you asking this question in the first place?
I am wanting this question to help me identify two things:
1) Which piper is considered the favorite by consensus and
2) To identify the pipers I haven't heard of so I may by chance get a listen to see what I am missing.

Thanks
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Screw that Clapton bloke, Fred Morrison is God.

Mick O'Brien, Robbie Hannan, and Paddy Keenan would all be eligible for minor forest- or water-deity status, however...
myrddinemrys
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Joseph Smith :D what a legend

Actually my favorite is Troy Donockley. (sorry, Joseph)
Last edited by myrddinemrys on Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.