Do they understand?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
dahlilama
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Do they understand?

Post by dahlilama »

Just a quick question as to whether the spouses/significant others of pipe players understand why you play this instrument? My spouse wonders why I am interested in learning this loud and non-soothing (to her ears) instrument. I tell her it is so expressive and unique, yet so forlorn and beatiful at the same time? She just does not get it. She does state that my playing is less annoying than it used to be as I have not seen too many moons with this instrument.
KDMARTINKY

Post by KDMARTINKY »

See my thread on this same subject. My wife hates the sound the UP makes and will never care for it. But she loves the haunting tunes I play on Low Whistle so its a trade off for me. But I am forever banished to the sunroom when playing the UP.

Good Luck...... :)

Oh she did make me a bag and blow-pipe cover though.
Keith

Bionn dha insint ar sceal agus leagon deag ar amhran
There are two versions of every story and twelve of every song
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

:lol: KD, considering where you could have been banished to (basement, garage, storm cellar, Outer Mongolia) and that she made a cover for your bag, I think that your wife must understand how you feel, even if she doesn't like the sound of UP.
dahlilama wrote:She does state that my playing is less annoying than it used to be
Dude, this is a real compliment :lol: . As you grow even less annoying, maybe she will start to get why you want to play UP.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Borrow a tenor saxophone and have a go at learning that and guaranteed, your spouse/partner whoever, will never complain again. If they think a concert pitch UP set is loud they ain't heard a sax.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
John S

Post by John S »

First words of the Dahlilama.

"As I was saying"

John S
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I stunned my wife the other day when I told her that I might not be playing the pipes today if it were not for her. She shares my view of supporting personal and cultural growth, and understands the ongoing investment that this requires. She has encouraged me to go to tionoil and has juggled the finances so that I could acquire decent equipment. God, there have been a few nervous phone calls from me from some distant tionol that went along these lines:
"um, Honey? I know we are on a tight budget, and I said I would not be buying any more pipe stuff...but there's this very special chanter for sale here..."

She plays the piano accordion (well!), so knows what it is like to pull out the box at a session and be about as welcomed as the sudden arrival of a mad dog. She knows what it is like to be a musical pariah. (Now, if we could only get our daughter to play banjo).

Before we ever dated, I kept running into her at bagpipe concerts. Eventually I figured it out and married her.

One lucky fecker,
T
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

tommykleen wrote:I stunned my wife the other day when I told her that I might not be playing the pipes today if it were not for her. She shares my view of supporting personal and cultural growth, and understands the ongoing investment that this requires. She has encouraged me to go to tionoil and has juggled the finances so that I could acquire decent equipment.... One lucky fecker,

T
Tommy, this is practically the same story as mine. In every musical ambition I have set out upon, 'She Who Must Be Obeyed' has been behind me 110%, and then some.

Her generosity of spirit, her words of encouragement, her own fine musicianship (whistle, bodhran, bones, guitar, mandolin and certainly the piano) along with a relaxed grip on the bank book have made it possible for me to explore the muse within myself, where ever they may lead me musically.

I am greatly indebted to my wife and soul mate, whose support and admiration has always been abundant, and whose love is eternal... as is my love for her.

Now, if you'll pardon me, I need to get a tissue. :D
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Now, if you'll pardon me, I need to get a tissue. :D
Me too. I'm reaching for the kleenex!

t
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

I get nothing but great support from my wife. She likes the music and the pipes and provides pretty good, objective and honest feedback when I need it. She also plays piano accordion, mostly at home, and we have some pretty good times working out new tunes and sets around the house. She'll go to a tionol with me at the drop of a hat and is probably more willing to travel to one than me. Her response when I wanted a new full set: " Get it, You deserve it". Pretty nice gal, I think!
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I think I may have got the stamp of approval from my cat today. I'll preface by saying that I'm just a beginner rife with mistakes, but today she came out from her usual lair in the bedroom and settled into my comfy chair with that eyes-closed smile that cats do. After a while I started in on some little tweak sessions on the chanter reed and tenor drone quill (don't worry about the chanter reed, it's reasonably improved), and she got curious and jumped up onto the dining room table to watch. Started playing again, and she payed close attention, and watched my fingers in particular. It seemed as if she liked the sound of the slide-up into Cnat (Bb, really, as I play a C set) and the pippity-poppity stuff. After a while she hunkered down still atop the table and closed her eyes again, smiling. Those of you with cats know a cat smile when you see one.

And you know what? She didn't even try to steal the strands of dental floss lying about. That's really unusual.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

When they curl up around your feet as you play you know that they are completely in the groove. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:When they curl up around your feet as you play you know that they are completely in the groove. :D

djm
Mine's a major lap-lounger, and will do that when I play the flute or whistle. Pipes being the pipes, a lap is out of the question, so the proximity afforded by the table had to do. What with cats being creatures of near-unbreakable habit, if she ever took up curling around my feet, I'd know for sure I'm getting somewhere!

And Tom, if your wife ever came with her accordion to a session, you can be sure she would have my honest welcome.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dahlilama

Post by dahlilama »

I will add that my girls (6 and 8 years of age) like it when I play the pipes. My youngest one says, "I like it when you play the pipes, even though Mommy does not like them so much." They are good at spotting the sound of the UPs when they hear them in a movie. They both want to learn, but I think that if they may not be ready for the onslaught of frustration. BTW, what is a good age to start?
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

I remember hearing somewhere that people sometimes start at age 7. I think the younger they are when they start, the easier it will be for them, as long as they are large enough to actually hold the instrument. Not sure though, and not an expert on such things.
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Get them onto the whistle first. The pipes when they're a bit older, 10 or so.

Patrick.