Leonard Barry's Pipes AWOL

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

A good man that cabbie. :thumbsup:
gold ring

Post by gold ring »

An absolute legend
donal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pipes and cabs

Post by donal »

I mislaid my pipes in Belgium last year and only managed to get them back after leaving the country. I too left them in the taxi. Although my taxi man wasn't too forthcoming for a few days, neither were the police who were only prompted into action after calling the Irish embassy in Brussels. Kinda ruined a holiday.

Before I'd take my pipes away again, I think I'd need some sort of GPS tracking device. Cars have them, and they depreciate over time so why not put one in your pipes case which more than likely gain in value over time? Especially if you want to avoid waiting for 10 years or more to get another set! Does anybody have any information on GPS stuff?

Anyway, glad to hear Leonard got his pipes back.

Donal.

http://www.corkpipersclub.com
http://donal.wordpress.com
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Pipes and cabs

Post by PJ »

donal wrote:Before I'd take my pipes away again, I think I'd need some sort of GPS tracking device. Cars have them, and they depreciate over time so why not put one in your pipes case which more than likely gain in value over time? Especially if you want to avoid waiting for 10 years or more to get another set! Does anybody have any information on GPS stuff?
upiper1971 could probably tell you something about GPS tracking devices. He installs them social misfits so that the Canadian government can track them - people on parole, on bail, bodhran players, etc.
PJ
donal

Re: Pipes and cabs

Post by donal »

Cheers PJ. I just emailed him.

On the topic of lost pipes, Dan O Callaghan had a set stolen off him in the Netherlands about 2 years ago. They caught the fella who did it but he wouldn't say where the pipes were. Seeing as this guy was a junkie it's doubtful if he had the wherewithal to actually find a piper to buy them so there's not much hope in posting any details I suppose.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Post the details anyway - you never know.
PJ
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Email received Donal...and returned. :D

Amongst other things... :D

upiper71
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

I take it that it's them pipes?:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/corkpipersclub/41384040/

upiper71
donal

Pipes

Post by donal »

It is indeed upiper71. Bit shaky but I'm sure we'll have more sessions soon and I'll get more pics. The club should be up and running now but a bit of a delay due to building work in the Aras, which is very frustrating.

As for the <a href="http://www.corkpipersclub.com">club website</a>, I'm hoping to get a bit of work done on it as it needs to be filled out a bit. Any ideas??
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Umm..perhaps a tune list of the tunes you fellows play, and maybe some more pics for the moment. In general, the site looks great.

upiper71

P.S. Did you receive my last email yesterday?