No Regulation

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

No Regulation

Post by ausdag »

I've been listening to a lot of different pipers' CDs lately and they are all top quality. I've been developing a lot more discernment re things like intonation, harmonics and all that - like now being able to hear individual harmonics on chanter notes, particularly on the flat chanters. But one thing that struck me just today....

after Listening to Tommy Reck's 'The Stone in the Field' CD, I was hit by how refreshing his sound was.

Was it his rather closed style of playing? Nooooo...don't think so.

Was it the minimal variation in each tune as opposed to some of the over-the-top variation sometimes heard? Nooooo....

what was it???

It was the refreshingly total lack of one iota of a tiny hint of a regulator!!!!!
Over the entire umpteen tracks!!

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
Reepicheep
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Reepicheep »

I have to admit that I am fond of a "less is more" approach to regulator playing. At the risk of getting flamed, I really dislike the stabbing, honking accompaniment used by some. Makes the pipes sound like a carousel organ.

For an example of the style of regulator playing I do like, take a listen to Eliot Grasso's rendition of the "Silver Slipper" on his "Standing Room Only" CD.

Where can one get a copy of Tommy Reck's CD?

Peace!
Reepicheep
"... when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world in some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise..."
Patrick D'Arcy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Tommy is an amazing regulator player though.

Pat Sky told me the only reason there are no regulators on that recording is because he hadn't time to make reeds for the set - which had fallen into disrepair after being neglected.

Patrick.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

Well, he will just have to make a second CD then.
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

I don't remember who told me this, they had a conversation with Tommy once, and mentioned that the ivories on Tommy's set looked very old and cracked. Tommy recounted how he had come into the house to find that the wife had iust put the pipes on the fire.
Eamon

Post by Eamon »

"the wife had iust put the pipes on the fire."

:boggle: Justifiable homicide anyone? Methinks I would soon have been single...

Eamon
Greg Schnider

Post by Greg Schnider »

uillmann wrote:I don't remember who told me this, they had a conversation with Tommy once, and mentioned that the ivories on Tommy's set looked very old and cracked. Tommy recounted how he had come into the house to find that the wife had iust put the pipes on the fire.
I'm lucky that we have natural gas fireplaces and that the doors don't open.

Greg