Music collection Help?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
DarthWeasel
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Music collection Help?

Post by DarthWeasel »

Hello all I have to questions:

First I have I'd really like to get my hands on the bothy Band's first two albums:
The Bothy Band "Old Hag You Have Killed Me"
The Bothy Band "1975: The First Album"

I've had no luck acquiring them. Amazon.com emailed me today and cancelled my order.

Second, I'm a big fan of Lunasa's first album. They have like 5 albums and was wondering on which 1 or two I should get next.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I really like Lunasa's 'Kinnitty Sessions and Otherworld'. I may have 'Old Hag You Have Killed Me' drifting around somewhere in the disaster area I call my music room. If I can find (or if I actaully have it) I'll let you know.
PJ
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

For the Bothy Band, try the Living Tradition in Cork:

http://www.ossian.ie/contact.elive?cart ... 3811376247

For Lunasa, my favourites is the Merry Sisters of Faith, their 2nd album, I think.
PJ
djm

Post by djm »

Let me introduce you to some websites:

NPU - become a member (you can do this on-line). You will get a discount on any books/CDs you order from them. They don't have everything, but they have a lot. http://www.pipers.ie/en/default.lasso

Claddagh - If its a commercial release, chances are they've got it. Not the cheapest price, but they've usually got it (they've got both albums you are looking for). http://www.claddaghrecords.com/www/default.asp?c=262948

Ossian - The US store has most if not all of what the Irish Ossian store has. You can buy on-line from either.
US - http://www.ossianusa.com/
Eire - http://www.ossian.ie/

There's plenty more, of course, but these are good places to start. For more sellers just do a Google.com search on the words "bothy band old hag you have killed me cd".

I notice these albums are from Green Linnet. They don't seem to be making these any more, but you can shop from them directly on-line as well: http://www.greenlinnet.com/

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
WallyS

Bothy

Post by WallyS »

Hi,

I have them and can send you mp3's until you can find them.

WallyS
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Bothy

Post by PJ »

WallyS wrote:I have them and can send you mp3's until you can find them.
:sniffle:
PJ
DarthWeasel

Paddy Keenan

Post by DarthWeasel »

Paddy Keenan will be playing around my area on Sept 10th. Does he usually sell these CD's or does he just sell his new one?
PJ

Post by PJ »

I think PK only sells his own CDs. Where's he playing?

My favourite Bothy Band CD is "Live at the BBC". If you haven't already got that one, you should add it to the wish list. If I'm not mistaken, Peter Browne plays the pipes on the first couple of tracks on that album.
PJ
DarthWeasel

Paddy Keenan

Post by DarthWeasel »

Here's the link with the info on Paddy's Sept 10th show.

http://www.philadelphiaceiligroup.org/f ... eenan.html

Post by Guest »

PJ wrote:For the Bothy Band, try the Living Tradition in Cork:

http://www.ossian.ie/contact.elive?cart ... 3811376247

For Lunasa, my favourites is the Merry Sisters of Faith, their 2nd album, I think.
i have to agree, i have a couple of lunasa albums & they are amongst my favourites
PJ

Re: Paddy Keenan

Post by PJ »

DarthWeasel wrote:Paddy Keenan will be playing around my area on Sept 10th. Does he usually sell these CD's or does he just sell his new one?
If you get a chance to speak to PK, could you ask him about his new CD - what's on it, when is it due out, etc.?
PJ
pete_grant

CD titles

Post by pete_grant »

When I toured Ireland with him in June, he brought three of his CD titles for sale and a double CD compilation of live performances that he was on.

PJ (Mr. Ellipsis), I'll ask Paddy about his new album later this week when I speak with him. After all, I've got to find my way onto it.
PJ

Re: CD titles

Post by PJ »

pete_grant wrote:... a double CD compilation of live performances that he was on...
This might be it.
pete_grant wrote:PJ (Mr. Ellipsis), I'll ask Paddy about his new album later this week when I speak with him.
Thanks. Would you mind posting his reply?
pete_grant wrote:After all, I've got to find my way onto it.
With the Zephyr I hope. :wink:
PJ
pete_grant

Post by pete_grant »

I'll be happy to post Paddy's reply.

I have another resonator guitar that outshines the Zephyr (though the Zephyr still has it for looks). I used it on Tommy O'Sullivan's yet-to-b-released album and on tour in Ireland in June. It's an 8-string National Model D. But if Paddy records here at my place, I might be tempted to bring out the Zephyr, too.
PJ

Post by PJ »

pete_grant wrote:I'll be happy to post Paddy's reply.

I have another resonator guitar that outshines the Zephyr (though the Zephyr still has it for looks). I used it on Tommy O'Sullivan's yet-to-b-released album and on tour in Ireland in June. It's an 8-string National Model D. But if Paddy records here at my place, I might be tempted to bring out the Zephyr, too.
Not enough dobro in traditional Irish music. If you can get your hands on it, have a listen to Davy Spillane's 1st album, Atlantic Bridge. There's a great track with Davy on pipes, Jerry Douglas on dobro and Bela Fleck on banjo. Magic stuff.

Where can I get hear the 8-string and Zephyr?
PJ