Hunting for drones

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
TheSilverSpear
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Hunting for drones

Post by TheSilverSpear »

So I'm beginning the process of making my nice little practice set into a half-set. My chanter's from Mickey Dunne and it's awesome, but I'm thinking about finding a US maker for drones given the expense of the things and the lousiness of the US dollar.

Any thoughts? I expect as many different answers as there are people who answer this post, but I'm interested in seeing what people have to say neverheless. At any rate, reading responses on this forum sure beats doing real work. :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Give this fella a shout...

http://www.greenwoodpipes.com/

... he makes beautiful pipes and is a swell (... but recently lumpy) guy to boot. :D
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nick Whitmer has a short lead time for drones. I waited 4 months for mine. Very happy with them.

They are the short version - the loop is larger than standard but the length of the bass drone is approx. 6" shorter than most sets. Very handy in pub sessions.

www.lightlink.com/nwhitmer

Good hunting.
PJ
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Nice lookin' drones there PJ. :)
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Thanks Joseph.

Although the credit belongs to NW. He made them. I only had to pay for them. I'm very happy with the sound also.
PJ
Thorpe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Thorpe »

TheSilverSpear- Ive heard good things about Mickey Dunnes chanters. Do you have a sound clip or some contact details for him?

Cheers
"The music business is a shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There is also a negative side."