Joe Kennedy Reedmaking Workshop Kingston,ON

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
upiper71

Joe Kennedy Reedmaking Workshop Kingston,ON

Post by upiper71 »

Anyone know if Joe is still having the workshop take place? I haven't heard anything as of late, hopefully it is still happening next weekend.

Also, those that are going could they provide an online map directions to the workshop, it'll save me from getting the GPS in the car.

upiper71
cquick
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Reed Making Workshop

Post by cquick »

My information is:
Reed making workshop in Kingston with Joe Kennedy 193 Ontario Street corner of Clarence & Ontario
MapQuest should be able to find it.
For those who wish to find it the "stumble and search" way, the location is very close to the water in the harbour area, and not far from the Kingston Brew Pub and Tir Na Nog (sp?)
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

Thanks C! :)

Will I see you there? Hopefully we can share some conversation during my visit..about the group or just in general.

upiper71
NicoMoreno
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

How much is the workshop?
cquick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

workshop cost

Post by cquick »

I think it's $25

Quite the bargain

Chuck
Northern Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Northern Whistler »

Yep, you beat me to bumping my previous post up.
It is at 9am-3:30pm, then there is talk of a session to follow somewhere about 6:30 and the Céilí in Kingston is at 8pm that night for anyone interested.
There will be cane and reed making supplies there if you have none. If you need a place to crash, let me know and I will either look for a place for you to stay or a cheap motel if nothing else.
I guess mapquest can get you in the general direction, but when I tried it is was way off. This is the best way I remember.
Come off 401 head south at John A McDonald. Keep going unill the end at the Kingston Pen. Turn left.
Follow that street past the hospital. Go straight at the stop sign past the hospital. You will go through a park. At the end of the park (next lights) turn right. Go around the corner and you will be pretty close. It is after the next set of lights on your right hand side. The RCHA club. A good place to park is on the next left hand street, beside Tir nan Og and the City hall.
We will be on the second floor in the RCHA club. 6138496466 is my number if you get lost.
Darren
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

How much is the cane and reed-making supplies?
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

See you guys there then..!

Ahh anyone esle from the Montreal Irish Piper's of Quebec want to go PM to hitch a ride.

upiper71
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

seriously... I am thinking of ocming now, but since I don't have any reed-making supplies at all, I would like to know if they will be there to use, or to buy or what?
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Northern Whistler wrote: There will be cane and reed making supplies there if you have none.
... seems like there will be, you're in luck. :D
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

NicoMoreno wrote:seriously... I am thinking of ocming now, but since I don't have any reed-making supplies at all, I would like to know if they will be there to use, or to buy or what?
Nico,

Dont worry. Joe will have lots to go around, and I also will be bringing my entire reedmaking tools to the event. As for cane, well, that I will have plenty as well. I also have other reeds for you to try into your chanter if you wish, I made a bunch before CLW 05 but forgot to mention it to you when I saw you there.

upiper71
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

Thanks...

Joe... I did read that. However, since it didn't say anything like "tools you can borrow for the day" or "free cane" I was curious. I'd rather know it would cost me hundreds of dollars now than then.

Well, I will have to see about carpooling now...

Thanks again everyone!
upiper71

Post by upiper71 »

NicoMoreno wrote:Thanks...

Joe... I did read that. However, since it didn't say anything like "tools you can borrow for the day" or "free cane" I was curious. I'd rather know it would cost me hundreds of dollars now than then.

Well, I will have to see about carpooling now...

Thanks again everyone!
Well I don't know about... "tools you can borrow for the day" or "free cane"but I can say this for sure. Cane will cost you about 6 tubes for about $12 CAD and #6 sweep will cost you around 50-60US maybe less. I picked up mine last year at North Hero,VT during the pipes convention.

Good Luck and we'll see you there hopefully.

upiper71
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

There you go... That's what I wanted to know!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Tim Britton sells everything you need for making reeds, including a dial thickness gauge, that since I have started using it, I have no I dea why I ever used anything else. It isn't cheap ($120.00USD), but it really is worth every copper spent on it.

The rest of the tools are reasonbly priced and ready to go. Tim is a nice fella to do business with.

Sorry, I can't help you out with a lift Nico, but I am busy that weekend. :P