Hevia Practise set on Ebay.de

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
MarcusR
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Hevia Practise set on Ebay.de

Post by MarcusR »

Here:
http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 66597&rd=1

Two days to go and 350 EUR.

Edit: Here you go PJ :)

/MarcusR
Last edited by MarcusR on Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

That's a nice looking chanter. The middle photo shows the chanter without the chanter top. The light reflects off the chanter along the holes and it looks like the holes have been groved or sculpted.

I've done this to my own chanter and know of a few other who have also done it. It makes the holes easier to find but can also sharpen the notes. I've not had any problems with my chanter.

Has anyone else done this?
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I finally tried a chanter with scalloped fingerholes. I didn't like it. It's easier to feel the holes when they're left to the extreme outer surface. BTW, if you scalloped the toneholes on a chanter that was already in tune, you may have ruined it. That would raise the pitch of each chimney that was shortened. The height of the chimney (in the tonehole) in each has to correspond to the size of the bore and a particular reed.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

That's what some people told me. I was also told that if one is subtle about it, the change in chimney height won't noticably alter the pitch of each note, particularly considering how changes in temp. and humidity can change the tone, pitch, colour, smell, taste, etc.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Keep in mind that each tonehole is merely another bottom note turned sideways. IOW, I suppose you could subtly shorten the chanter also w/o effecting the pitch of the bottom D, but that would be very difficult. The length of the chanter is precise.
wgority

Post by wgority »

Okay, that can mean only one thing. One of us has to buy the damned thing and find out what the tuning's like.

:boggle:
Pipers Gathering--More Fun, More Music
August 1-4, 2008 in Killington, VT
http://www.pipersgathering.org
Droner

Post by Droner »

Most good Leo Rowsome chanter's are scolloped.
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

I would think that most chanters that are scalloped by the maker are pitched slightly flat to begin with, then brought up to standard by shortening the chimney on each tonehole.

Re Rowsome chanters being scalloped, I wonder if they were at standard pitch before he scalloped them. I've heard many of them are sharp of A-440 and were pitched that way on purpose. I've also read that the bores are now stuffed with rushes to bring them back down to SP.
AlanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by AlanB »

Rowesomes, at times, will need a fairly wide bore staple to get 'em going, and hopefully without rushing the bore. Strangely, I turned up a picture of an old Box Rowesome and a couple of his reeds earlier (pretty much to scale too). Long reeds, narrow(ish) heads. Wide bore staple to sharpen 2nd 8ve (or flatten 1st, (whichever way you look at it) and a comparatively narrow head to 'condense' the 8ve up the top end and control the pitch of the back D?? Just a guess.. It can be done without them rushes.

Alan
djm

Post by djm »

Can anyone verify whether this is a true Hevia set, and not a Pakistani imitation? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

djm wrote:Can anyone verify whether this is a true Hevia set, and not a Pakistani imitation? :D

djm
I'm on it buddy! Now where did I put my 'Observer's Gude to Uilleann Pipes' manual?
Droner

Post by Droner »

I played a few tunes at willie week with a Hevia half set.....this is definately the same...Hevia alright. Sure ask the guy who is the dealer in Ireland, wasn't he on another thread lately?.....www.instrumentsoftradition.com (or somethin like that)
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

....still rummaging...*BONK*... what the..?... where the fu... *CRASH-BONK-TINKLE*... ow!.. there it is!... umm... no, that's not it....*HONK*....Ow!!!...Stop that!... Oh, what's that over there?.... *SLAM*... I'm gonna miss that finger.... HEY!!!... wait a minute....*CRASH!!!*...nope...
Jay-eye

Post by Jay-eye »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:....still rummaging...*BONK*... what the..?... where the fu... *CRASH-BONK-TINKLE*... ow!.. there it is!... umm... no, that's not it....*HONK*....Ow!!!...Stop that!... Oh, what's that over there?.... *SLAM*... I'm gonna miss that finger.... HEY!!!... wait a minute....*CRASH!!!*...nope...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Lemmee see now, "This book belongs to: Joseph E Smith".... what? Did I never let you have that Observer book back, Joe?
Oh well, too late now!
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
djm

Post by djm »

Joe, is this the new mania for vapid, pointless lives in the new millenium - pipe spotting? Will it be bigger than train spotting, bird watching, or, dare I say it, even camel spotting? :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.