Buliding a woodlathe

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

tramaluk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tramaluk »

yep djm
i can see where your coming from,but i'm a bit confused as i can't find a pillow or duvet on that lathe at all,may be some ones taken the bed off it, or it might have been sold,or worse ..stolen

:D :D :D
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

djm wrote:Dave, I was simply pointing out the amount of time it takes to turn anything out with a treadle lathe. Yes, they are noted for the degree of accuracy that an experienced operator can achieve, but you had previously noted that you had played a chanter that was turned out in an hour. You won't be turning out much of anything in an hour on a treadle lathe. If you have nothing but time on your hands then, sure, go for it. Enjoy! :)

djm
Sorry DJM, I know your intentions were good. Hope I didn't come over like a cynical, arrogant f*rt.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Cheers,

DavidG
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

patsky wrote:Why put all that energy into trying to build and/or purchase a used wood lathe. Here is a new one for under $200 dollars. With planning and care you can build a set of pipes on this machine.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cf ... mber=G8691

Pat....I've been eyeing this one which I think is similar -

http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/ca ... l?cache=no

or this ine, but more expensive -

http://svc010.bne011i.server-web.com/ca ... l?cache=no

PJ - wood lathes are not too short. If anything they are more accommdating than metal lathers because its easier to get extension beds for them if I have been observing correctly.

Cheers,

DavidG
J-dub

Post by J-dub »

David,

For my first attempts at pipe making I used my Jet 1236 variable speed lathe. I think it was a good investment. It is very similar to the Carbatec MC900 that you are looking at. The good features on these 'hobby' lathes are..

1. the variable speed (no having to stop the machine and move the belt to change speeds).

2. hollow tail stock, which is essential for boring the piolt hole, unless you have a steady rest (which is expensive, and something more common to metal lathes).

3. Reasonable stability and accuraccy, which is hard to get in any of the machines priced below these units.

Problems with this type of set up (and wood lathes in general).

1. Slowest speed (~500 rpm) is too fast for accuarte boring; I had a REAL hard time doing this on my lathe and so did a friend of mine on his wood lathe. But it can be done with patience.

2. You will need to purchase a chuck for holding the work while boring, they are not cheap.

A treadle lathe would have to be pretty advanced to accomplish these things - and the simplest ones I have seen still require a very high level of wood working skill to make, and are best suited to ornamental spindle work and not really designed for machining wood (which is what pipe making is really). For instance, it would be hard to pump the treadle and manipulate the auger through the tail stock and all. But then again people have managed to do amazing things with the simplest of tools.

I recently aquired a second-hand metal lathe and boy oh boy I can already tell you this is the best choice (but not the most economical).
The slowest speed is ~40 rpm, you can percisely center the head and tail stocks and it is super stable and accurate. Boring is significantly easier. The metal lathe has the advantage that you can also make your own cuting tools like tapered reamers, mandrels etc.

I still intend to use the wood lathe; it is the best choice for roughing and finishing work.

Another option is to find used head and tail stocks, then make your own bed from angle iron and fix the whole thing to a very stable bench. You need to get a motor and pullys, but these are widely available. A friend of mine did just this and his lathe is very good. He uses it to turn Congalese drums, which is pretty scary when ~80 lbs of hard wood starts whipping about all out of round and all :boggle: But his set up has proved to be very strong and reliable, and not very costly or time consuming to get there.

Actualy, I am planning on making my own home made lathe just for kicks, and to have something that is man powered and portable (but not for pipe building). Mine will be powered by bicycle, complete with gear shifters to change the spindle speed!

Anyways, whatever path you take good luck to you!

(and do seek advice from Australian pipe and flute makers, I am sure that somebody might be able to hook you up with something)

John.
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. If I cant put one together myself I might go with the Carbatech one for beginning. My friend's brother-in-law owns one of the franchises so he said he could probably do me a bit of a deal (on exotic wood too!!)
J-dub wrote:
Problems with this type of set up (and wood lathes in general).

1. Slowest speed (~500 rpm) is too fast for accuarte boring; I had a REAL hard time doing this on my lathe and so did a friend of mine on his wood lathe. But it can be done with patience.
A local pipemaker is going to show me a way of setting up the D-drill in a power drill so that it also spin, but in the opposite direction and at a slower speed which he says effectively causes the D Drill to self centre much more accurately. Might be able to do this to enhance accuracy myself.

J-dub wrote: 2. You will need to purchase a chuck for holding the work while boring, they are not cheap.
I saw plans for making up one of these out of ply-wood and roller-blade bearings. Could be good.

J-dub wrote: The metal lathe has the advantage that you can also make your own cuting tools like tapered reamers, mandrels etc.

When I become more knowledgable and proficient at basic turning skills, I'll invest in a better set up including a metal lathe.
J-dub wrote: Another option is to find used head and tail stocks, then make your own bed from angle iron and fix the whole thing to a very stable bench.
That's what I also had in mind. I have a very solid bench I made out of half-logs - very sturdy. I used to use it for my Bonsai collection. But I think it would make a good lathe bench. If I go the Carbatech lathe I may even take it off the stand (looks kind of flimsy) and mount it on this bench.

J-dub wrote: (and do seek advice from Australian pipe and flute makers, I am sure that somebody might be able to hook you up with something)
I'm getting valuable advice from a coupe of makers here in Brisbane.

Thanks for the advice and information.

I'll let you know what happens,

Cheers,

DavidG

John.[/quote]
Islandpiper

treadle lathe

Post by Islandpiper »

I own one ot these, exactly like this one........http://www.lathes.co.uk/goodell-pratt/img17.gif . Best wishes trying to do ANYTHING with it.......and I have many hours on a semi-modern Craftsman wood lathe as experience. I really think that if you want a treadle lathe, you should walk to my shop from wherever you are, packing your gear on your back and try this lathe......don't drive or fly, just walk or ride a horse likek the guys who used this lathe....a sort of Zen re-inactment of the life style..heh heh heh.....to really appreciate it as a working tool......

Ya, sure.

Break down and buy teh best tools you can possible afford and go to work. islandpiper